Learn how to make Whipped Cream perfectly every time with these easy tips! It’s a fresh and fluffy concoction of just 3 ingredients: heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla!
What Cream to Use
Heavy cream, or heavy whipping cream, has more than 30% fat and is the best choice for making whipped cream. It will stand up in peaks and hold up for several hours without melting or losing its shape when piped on top of pies or cakes.
I have found that containers labeled simply “whipping cream” sometimes have lower milk fat and will make a runnier whipped cream, so look for the word “heavy” on the carton if you’re wanting a stiffer result.
How to Make Whipped Cream
Make with a Mixer:
Always start with very cold cream and a chilled bowl. The colder the cream is the quicker it will whip. With just 2 simple steps you’ll have it whipped up in a jiffy when using an electric mixer.
- Place all ingredients in a cold mixing bowl (see recipe below).
- Mix on medium for 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.
If using a stand mixer, be attentive! Over beating will turn the cream from fluffy peaks to lumpy butter in a matter of seconds if you’re not careful.
No Mixer? No Problem!
You can make whipped cream without a mixer by whisking or even by shaking in a jar!
To make whipped cream by whisking can take up to 10 mins or more, so stretch those arms and get a good workout in making whipped cream by hand!
- Place all ingredients in a chilled mixing bowl (see recipe below).
- Whip using a wire whisk until it reaches desired consistency.
Making whipped cream in a jar is a simple activity that can involve the kids too. Pass it around, giving everyone a turn while you introduce them to the magic of food chemistry.
- Place all ingredients in a tightly covered jar.
- Shake until thick and fluffy.
Be sure to loosen the lid every so often to release the vacuum pressure that will build as bubbles form!
Try on Top These Desserts
- Easy Pecan Pie – deliciously gooey & rich!
- Praline Pumpkin Pie – perfect texture & texture combination!
- Banana Cream Pie old-fashioned pie made from scratch
- Pumpkin Pie – staple of autumn
- Ultimate Coconut Cream Pie – deliciously fluffy & loaded with coconut!
How to Make Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream chilled
- 2 tablespoons sugar or powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla optional
- Place a bowl and beaters into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Add ingredients to the bowl and beat on medium for 1 minute. Increase speed to medium high and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Refrigerate unused portion for up to 24 hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!