How to make Perfect Whipped Cream Every Time!
Love it? Pin it to SAVE it!
Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great tips, ideas and recipes!
It sounds so impressive: “Homemade, fresh whipped cream.” And truly, there is nothing like topping a wonderful dessert with perfect luscious whipped cream that you whipped up at home!
The thing is, it is so easy to make and to get it right every time!
Here’s what you do:
- Use heavy whipping cream (usually 30-35% milk fat). They have it in every grocery store’s dairy area. Then, chill it. Very cold and chilled cream whips up the best.
- Chill both the bowl and the beaters that you will be using. This little trick really makes the very best whipped cream! Stick them in the freezer for about 15 minutes (or if it’s winter put it outside). (Note: make sure the bowl is large. Your whipped cream is going to increase about 3x in volume.)
- Start whipping your cream slowly (this decreases splattering) until frothy.
- While the mixer is on low, add sugar and/or vanilla if desired. If using sugar, use confectioners’ (or powdered) sugar. It has a softer texture and there is usually a very slight bit of cornstarch in it which will help stabilize your whipped cream.
- Once the cream starts to thicken, increase the speed to medium high until soft peaks form. (Over mixing can cause a grainy texture).
Your whipped cream can be chilled, covered, for up to 24 hours. If you are going to be keeping the whipped cream for longer, you may like to include a Whipped Cream Stabilizer. My sister-in-law always uses it and the whipped cream can be made ahead of time without worrying that it won’t hold it’s volume!
There’s really no reason to buy processed whipped cream as this is cheaper, yummier and really easy. An added benefit is knowing that there are no “weird” ingredients or chemicals in your whipped cream. Yours has only one ingredient: heavy cream!