Before I prepared the onion rings, I soaked the sliced onions in milk for a little while. This just helps take some of the “bite” out of the onions! These are super easy to make and were a huge hit with the whole family! If you prefer more onion in your onion ring, my mom “doubles” up the onions (so there are two slices nested inside one another before breading them). I like to do them as singles. Either way, they are delicious! Enjoy!
Light & Crispy Baked Onion Rings
- 2 Onions Peeled and Sliced into 1/2" Rings
- 2 Cups of Milk , divided
- 1 Tablespoon of Vinegar
- 2 Eggs
- 1/2 Cup plus 2 Tablespoons of Flour
- 2 Cups of Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Seasoning Salt , Pepper, Paprika
- Preheat oven to 425
- Put sliced onions in a large ziploc bag with 1 cup of milk and let sit at least 30 minutes turning occasionally.
- Put 1 tablespoon of vinegar in a 1-cup measuring cup and top to 1 cup with milk. Stir & let sit 5 minutes (the milk will thicken).
- Mix together soured milk, eggs and 2 tablespoons of flour. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine Panko Bread Crumbs, olive oil and seasonings.
- Remove onions from the ziploc bag and drain (I used a strainer).
- Place onions in a bag with 1/2 cup of flour and shake to coat.
- Separate the Panko mixture into 2 small bowls (this is important because the mixture gets damp and doesn't stick after a while).
- One by one, dip each onion into the egg mixture and then into the Panko mixture to coat.
- Place on a parchment covered pan.
- Bake 10 minutes, flip over and bake an additional 10 minutes until browned and crispy.
- Sprinkle with additional seasoning salt if desired and serve with ketchup!
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)