Seasoned Salt combines salt with a perfectly flavorful blend of herbs and spices. It is a quick and convenient way to season practically all your dishes that call for salt!
Sprinkle seasoned salt on eggs, grilled zucchini, salad dressings, chicken breasts (or baked chicken thighs), or any savory dish that needs salt and seasoning. You can add it before cooking or after (or both)!
This easy seasoned salt recipe is a blend of common spices that can be used to season foods from many cuisines. The great thing about DIY seasoned salt is that you can customize your own homemade seasoned salt recipes to suit your own taste, or for different styles of cooking. Once you make your own, you’ll always use homemade as a substitute for seasoned salt from the store!
What is Seasoned Salt?
Seasoned salt (sometimes called Seasoning Salt) typically includes salt (of course!), and garlic and onion powder as the starting place. Additional ingredients can then be added, depending on what you like. When making seasoned salt, you’ll want to ensure your spices are a fine grind (for example pepper). For example, I’ve found that when using a coarser grind pepper, it tends to separate from the rest of the mixture.
How to Make Seasoned Salt
This couldn’t be easier, simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl until well mixed.
- SALT: For the best results, use a finer sized grains of salt. It will season more evenly and mixes better with the spice additions. Make sure to use a thinner grain pepper so it mixes in well!
- SEASONINGS: Like I had mentioned about the pepper above, ensure the particles of each ingredient are roughly the same for even distribution. Use a spice grinder a mortar and pestle before adding if needed.
- STORAGE: Place in an air-tight jar and like all spices and seasonings, store in a dry area in your kitchen away from heat.
Herbs and spice contain volatile oils and flavors dissipate over time so I make smaller batches but this recipe can definitely be doubled or tripled.
Seasoned Salt Variations
Like most seasoning blends, this seasoned salt recipe can be easily tailored to your tastes or your favorite cuisines!
- For Mexican Seasoned Salt Add: Salt, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, cumin, ground red pepper
- For Mediterranean Seasoned Salt: Combine salt, garlic and onion powders with ground rosemary and basil.
- For an Italian seasoned salt recipe: Add in basil and oregano. I love adding this to Italian dressing!
Homemade seasoned salt adds great flavor to meat, steaks and more so they’re great to have on hand for a variety of dishes. You can make a variety of seasoned salts in individual jars! Keep your seasoned salt close at hand for sprinkling on all your cooking. It’s the perfect kitchen staple for busy cooks!
More Homemade Seasonings
- Homemade Ranch Seasoning (Dressing Mix) – delicious on popcorn!
- Italian Seasoning – add it to dressing or chicken breasts
- Homemade Poultry Seasoning
- Homemade Cajun Seasoning – the best southern kick!
- How to Make Buffalo Sauce – wing night!
- Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe – Mexican night!
Homemade Seasoned Salt
- 2 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper fine grind
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.