Jicama Fries are a low carb recipe that will impress your family and friends! They are the are made with an edible root, olive oil, herbs and make the perfect snack that’s keto friendly too!
What is Jicama?
Jicama is an edible root, often referred to as a ‘Mexican turnip.’ With a tough skin and a crispy, crunchy white firm flesh, jicama is often substituted for water chestnuts because it stays crunchy in soups. I always describe the taste and texture as a potato mixed with an apple. It has great crunch and is perfect eaten raw as part of a veggie dip!
Because of its mildly sweet flavor, jicama can be used in dozens of ways. Try topping a tossed salad with shredded jicama for a sweet burst of flavor!
How to Cut Jicama
Cutting jicama is easy once you remove the outer peel with a vegetable peeler. Since jicama is round like a turnip, it can be cut all sorts of ways. Most commonly, jicama is cut into slices for dipping. For these roasted jicama fries, however, cut it into slices and then the slices into strips so they resemble french fries.
How to Make Jicama Fries
These jicama fries are delicious but the do not have the same texture as a french fry, they will stay somewhat tender crisp. They do have a slightly sweet flavor, they are yummy and a great low carb option!
- Boil: Peel jicama and cut into ‘fries’ and boil them.
- Mix: Drain and place in a bowl with the remaining ingredients and toss well.
- Bake: Bake until golden brown flipping them half way through to evenly cook.
Serve Alongside These Favorite Meals
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak – almost unbelievable how quick these are ready!
- Jalapeño Cheddar Burgers – make with turkey or beef.
- The Best Grilled Cheese Sandwich – ready to enjoy in under 15 minutes!
- Reuben Sandwich – a personal favorite.
- Homemade Patty Melt – 3 ingredient patties.
Oven Baked Jicama Fries
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Peel jicama and cut into 'fries'. Boil 10-12 minutes.
- Drain and dab dry. Toss with remaining ingredients.
- Place on a parchment lined pan and bake 20 minutes.
- Flip and bake an additional 20 minutes or until golden
- Serve warm with ranch or aioli.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.