Grilled BBQ Chicken is a must have recipe for warm summer nights! Meaty chicken pieces are slathered in a tasty bbq sauce and grilled until tender and juicy with a deliciously crisp sticky skin!
How Long to BBQ Chicken
This recipe uses bone in chicken (breast, thighs, legs) which take a bit longer than boneless grilled chicken breasts. Bone-In chicken will generally take about 35-45 minutes to cook through.
Meat is expensive and I always want to make sure it’s cooked right (not over and not under). I strongly suggest a meat thermometer to make sure it’s cooked and to make sure you don’t overcook it so it stays tender and juicy! When taking the temperature of chicken, be certain to keep the thermometer away from the cavity or near any bones for an accurate reading.
BBQ Chicken Temperature: The FDA recommends that bbq chicken reaches 165°F at the thickest point.
How to Make BBQ Chicken
Making bone-in chicken takes longer than making grilled or Oven Baked Chicken Breasts but the results are tender and juicy!
In this barbecue chicken recipe, the first 15 minutes will brown the outer skin and the next 20 to 30 minutes will finish the cooking process. Sugars can burn at high heat so adding the sauce later will keep the chicken from burning on the grill while producing a nice sweet sticky grilled skin!
Preheat the grill to medium heat to make sure it is ready to evenly cook before adding your bird. Brush the grate with oil (I use olive oil but any will do) so the skin doesn’t stick. I usually pour a little bit of oil on a paper towel and use tongs to quickly rub the oil onto the grate.
To Grill BBQ Chicken:
- Season your chicken with salt and pepper.
- Barbecue the chicken with the skin side down for about 15 minutes. Turn it over and baste with BBQ Chicken Sauce (make your own homemade barbecue sauce or use pre-made).
- Cook an additional 20 to 30 minutes, constantly basting with the sauce.
To Tell if BBQ Chicken is Done…
Always check the internal temperature using a meat thermometer (165°) and make sure the juices run clear and not pink. When it’s done, remove your BBQ chicken and let it rest on a plate for a few minutes before serving.
If there’s any left, your BBQ chicken will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator or a couple months in the freezer!
Let’s Get Grilling!
- Grilled Pork Teriyaki – only 3 ingredients!
- Grilled Pork Chops – delicious and tender!
- Parmesan Grilled Asparagus – grill in under 10 minutes!
- Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken – my all time favorite.
- Grilled Zucchini– zesty and flavorful.
Grilled BBQ Chicken
- 1 whole chicken cut into pieces (3-4 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups barbecue sauce
- Preheat grill to medium heat.
- Rub chicken with olive oil and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook chicken skin side down on an oiled grate for 15 minutes.
- Turn over, baste with barbecue sauce. Cook an additional 20-30 minutes continuing to brush with sauce (breast should reach 165°F and thighs should reach 175°F).
- Rest 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!