Juicy Turkey Burgers are the perfect option if you’re looking for a delicious burger recipe lightened up a little bit. Made with ground turkey, bacon and our fave BBQ sauce, these come out juicy and flavorful every time!
Serve with a generous portion of broccoli pasta salad for a delicious meal!
How to Make Turkey Burgers
The best turkey burger recipe is simple and straightforward yet well seasoned and moist.
Ingredients: This starts with ground turkey which is quite lean. Since turkey has to be cooked through (and can’t be served medium) I add a little bit of fat to keep the patties moist. I prefer using some finely chopped bacon as it not only adds moisture but also flavor.
The egg yolk & breadcrumbs help keep the burgers from falling apart.
Turkey Burger Seasonings:
In addition to smoky bacon, mixing Worcestershire sauce and BBQ sauce right into the patties adds great flavor. Grated onion adds flavor without adding big chunks of onion.
Season generously with salt and pepper.
How to Grill Turkey Burgers
Turkey burgers are very soft and must be handled carefully. Refrigerating before cooking helps them to hold their shape better.
My fave trick… You can cook them directly on the grill however I most often use a grill mat. A grill mat is exactly what it sounds like, a flexible mat that goes right onto the grill. It makes burgers so easy to cook and you still get the char and grill marks (it’s also great for Grilled Vegetables so they don’t slip through the grate).
Prep the turkey burgers and place on the grill mat on a baking sheet (without a rim). Refrigerate and to cook simply slide the whole grill mat right onto the grill!
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat. Mix ingredients together.
- Using your thumb, create an indentation in the center of each patty and refrigerate for 30 minutes. (This helps keep them from falling apart).
- Brush each patty with BBQ sauce and grill 6 to 8 minutes on each side until cooked through.
To Bake Turkey Burgers
- Prepare as directed.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and bake on a parchment lined pan for 25-30 minutes or until they reach 165°F.
The best way to tell if your turkey burgers are done is to use a meat thermometer. Insert into the thickest part of each patty and remove from the heat when the internal temperature reaches 165°F or more. Always let the cooked patties rest for about 3 to 5 minutes before serving them.
Best Toppings for Turkey Burgers
Anything that can top a regular burger can top a turkey burger- but why not try toppings that will really enhance the turkey flavor? Smoked Gouda or Havarti cheese, a tangy pesto mayonnaise or a chipotle salsa take these fancy burgers to a whole new level!
More Barbecue Favorites
- Grilled BBQ Chicken – easy to season, grill and serve.
- Lemon Parmesan Grilled Asparagus – ready in under 15 mins!
- Grilled Pork Teriyaki – just 3 ingredients!
- Barbecue Chicken Foil Packets – no mess meal
- Easy Grilled Eggplant – easy as 1, 2, 3!
Juicy Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey not extra lean
- 2 slices bacon uncooked diced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce plus extra for basting if desired
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion grated
- salt & pepper
- hamburger buns
- lettuce, tomato, onion
- Gently combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Form into 4 patties, 1/2" thick. Using your thumb, create a small indent in the patties. Refrigerate 30 minutes
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Brush patties with barbecue sauce and grill 6-8 minutes per side or until cooked through (165°F).
- Serve on hamburger buns with desired toppings.