Why buy pre-made Breadcrumbs when you can make them at home yourself? (Plus it’s a great way to use up bread crusts, old dinner rolls that are no longer fresh and the lone hot dog bun you have)!
With just a few pieces of bread and a sprinkle of seasonings, you can make Italian bread crumbs from bread that you already have!
Breadcrumbs are the final touch in so many great recipes; gratins, casseroles, or as a coating for chicken or veggies. In a pinch, and there’s no panko? Making breadcrumbs from scratch is quick and easy!
What Kind Of Bread To Use For Breadcrumbs
What is the best kind of bread to use to make breadcrumbs? Preferably use bread that is denser since they will yield more crumbs, but whatever is on hand will do! Keep the end pieces of a loaf of bread (AKA the “heel” ends) or even stale bread. Give it new life and make your own breadcrumbs!
How To Make Breadcrumbs
It’s super easy to make your own breadcrumbs. Make sure the bread dries out but doesn’t brown or toast!
- Spread bread on a baking sheet.
- Bake until hard and dry, turning once halfway through the baking process (per recipe below).
Let the bread cool before pulsing in a food processor. The longer the pulse, the finer the crumbs will
To make breadcrumbs without a food processor:
- Cut or break baked bread into smaller pieces and place them in a zippered bag.
- Use a rolling pin to crush the bread crumbs to desired consistency.
Panko Bread Crumbs are processed while soft resulting in a larger crumb and more crunch. You can find my panko recipe here.
Ways to Flavor Homemade Breadcrumbs
There are all kinds of additions to put in homemade breadcrumbs to change the texture and taste! Mix and match seasoning ingredients to create a new signature recipe for breadcrumbs!
- Add Italian seasoning if desired, or even Parmesan.
- Mix everything bagel seasoning into homemade breadcrumbs- it’s the best!
- Add some corn flakes or bran flakes to the mix. Extra crispy!
- Try using taco seasoning to create Mexican style chicken!
How To Store Them
Bread crumbs are easily stored in a zippered bag, or any container with a tight-fitting lid. Store in a cool dry place or in the refrigerator for up to one month.
Can You Freeze Breadcrumbs?
Bread crumbs can be frozen for up to three months. Be sure to label the bag or container with the date, and defrost the amount needed before use.
Best Breadcrumb Recipes
When it comes to recipe using breadcrumbs and all-time favorite is this jalapeno popper dip! It is topped with Italian seasoned breadcrumbs and baked until bubbly and browned. A close second is definitely these buffalo cauliflower, they are perfectly crunchy and full of flavor.
For main dishes, this everything chicken or crispy parmesan crusted chicken are must-try dishes. Especially when served with a side of homemade french fries and this simple tossed salad!
How to Make Breadcrumbs
- 6 slices fresh bread
- seasonings optional
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Place bread in a pan in the oven to dry, about 10 minutes. Flip and let dry another 5-10 minutes until it is dry to the touch. Do not brown or toast.
- Remove from oven and let cool before turning into breadcrumbs.
- For fine breadcrumbs, places bread in a food processor and pulse a few times to reach desired consistency.
- For coarse breadcrumbs, place bread in a freezer bag and use a rolling pin to crush to desired consistency.
To make seasoned bread crumbs, add 1 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes, 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano and 1/2 teaspoon dried basil to two cups of prepared breadcrumbs. To Make Panko Bread Crumbs:
Remove the crusts from a loaf of wheat or white bread. Crumble it into coarse crumbs either with a food processor.
Bake at 300°F to dry taking care not to toast them, about 10 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
These are perfect. They taste exactly like store-bought. Thanks Holly! I was wondering about how much it makes, because I forgot to measure and I want to use it for another thing so I need to know how much more I should make.
Hi Rebecca, it should make about 2 cups of breadcrumbs depending on the size of your slices of bread.