This homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe is so easy to make and has the perfect combination of sweet, savory, and tangy.
Out of BBQ sauce? Or want to adjust the flavorings to suit your taste? Look no further! There are so many possibilities for this sauce and it can be customized to suit any dish!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
- There are so many BBQ sauces on the market but homemade is always best and you can skip the high-fructose corn syrup!
- Sweet, zesty, and tangy is the best description of this sauce.
- It’s so flavorful and easy to make using pantry staples.
- Make a double (or triple) batch, it keeps well in the fridge or freezer.
- It’s great on so many dishes! Bbq chicken, pulled pork sandwiches, and ribs all taste great doused in this homemade sauce.
Ingredients for BBQ Sauce
The Base of this bbq sauce recipe contains:
- ketchup makes up most of the base
- molasses adds a rich sweetness
- apple cider vinegar brings zesty tang
- brown sugar sweetens the mixture use dark or light brown sugar, we find dark brown sugar to have more flavor
- Worcestershire sauce is adds umami
The seasonings in this homemade sauce include minced onions and garlic (or onion powder and garlic powder for a smoother sauce) with a bit of paprika and dry mustard. Adjust to suit your preferences!
- Sweet – Substitute honey or maple syrup for the brown sugar.
- Spicy – To make it a little spicy add some cayenne pepper, chili flakes, diced jalapeno or hot peppers.
- Other – Try a splash of bourbon, whiskey, a splash of liquid smoke or even orange or pineapple juice. Try a bit of yellow mustard or soy sauce.
- Add spices or herbs to your liking. Try chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, or oregano.
How to Make Homemade BBQ Sauce
This recipe is so easy, with just a few steps and only 30 minutes to create a custom barbecue sauce.
- Cook finely diced onion & minced garlic with olive oil in a small saucepan
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally while the sauce simmers until it’s thick (as per the recipe below).
This is the easy part! Just keep it in a tightly sealed container like a glass mason jar or a clean salad dressing bottle.
Store it in the freezer for about 3 months.
BBQ sauce makes a great marinade, a perfect dipping sauce for chicken tenders, or mix 50/50 with pizza sauce (or tomato sauce) to make a bbq chicken pizza!
- Slather it on burgers, pork or beef ribs, and more.
- Dr. Pepper Crock Pot Pulled Pork Recipe – five-star favorite
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – perfect to dip
Did you make this homemade BBQ sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- In a small saucepan on medium low heat, cook onion and garlic in oil until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!