This homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe is so easy to make and can be customized to suit any dish! It’s your perfect combination of sweet, savory and spicy. Serve on your favorite barbecue chicken foil packets or slathered on grilled chicken or grilled pork chops. The delicious possibilities are endless!
Homemade BBQ Sauce
How many barbecue sauce brands are really out on supermarket shelves? Since barbecuing is one of America’s favorite past-times, it’s no wonder there are so many options! Honestly, the best barbecue sauce on the market is your own made right in your kitchen! Using the basic foundation below, you can tweak and add your favorites to create your own homemade barbecue sauce concoctions!
Barbecue Sauce Ingredients
The best homemade barbecue sauce will always start with similar basic ingredients to as the foundation. The greatest part is that from there you can re-season it any way you want to for whatever application you have!
- Base: ketchup, molasses, vinegar, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Basic Seasonings: paprika, dry mustard, salt and pepper, onions, garlic (or garlic powder).
- Optional Flavor Boosters:
- pureed green chiles or tomatillos
- tomato puree, chili sauce
- citrus juice (orange, lemon or lime depending on the application).
How To Make BBQ Sauce
This recipe is so easy, with just a few steps and only 30 minutes you can create a custom barbecue sauce all your own.
- Cook finely diced onion and minced garlic with olive oil in a small saucepan until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened.
This can be served just as is or you can blend it with an immersion blender for a smoother consistency (in the images here, I did not blend it). Either will taste great!
How to Store Homemade BBQ Sauce
This is the easy part! Just keep in a tightly sealed container like a glass mason jar or a clean salad dressing bottle. Use within a few weeks since your homemade barbecue sauce won’t have all the preservatives that store-bought does.
Try Your BBQ Sauce in These Delicious Recipes
- Slow Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches – crowd pleaser.
- Dr. Pepper Crock Pot Pulled Pork Recipe – just 5 mins of prep!
- Oven Baked BBQ Chicken Taquitos – perfect snack or appetizer.
- Cheeseburger Pizza – 30 minute meal.
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breast – just baste on top!
- Air Fryer Chicken Tenders – perfect to dip with
Easy BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ⅔ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- ½ tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook onion and garlic in a small saucepan on medium low heat until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer 20 minutes or until thickened.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)