Instant Pot Meatloaf is a complete meal in just one pot!
A flavorful ground beef meatloaf is cooked on a bed of potatoes in the instant pot for a full meal! You’ll love how easy it is and your family will rave over the flavor!
No-Fail Instant Pot Meal
The great news is that this meal also cooks easily in the Instant Pot! Because it is cooked under pressure, this meatloaf comes out nice and flavorful while the potatoes cook right along with it.
A full meal in just one pot.
BEEF this recipe is the perfect combination of ingredients for a tender juicy meatloaf.
I use ground beef but a combination of beef and pork (or even veal) will work just fine in this recipe. Use lean ground beef (80/20) as you need a little bit of fat for flavor and moisture.
SEASONINGS I add onion to the mixture but if you’d like, add some chopped up veggies (green bell pepper is delicious in this). Swap out the spices for your favorites like chili powder or even taco seasoning!
TOPPING Hands down my favorite part! Ketchup and chili sauce is the perfect tangy topping. Chili sauce is not spicy, it’s like extra zesty ketchup and so good!
If you prefer a brown sugar topping, combine 1/2 cup ketchup, 3 tablespoons brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cider vinegar.
POTATOES potatoes make the perfect side for this meatloaf. Baby potatoes are the best choice as they don’t get mushy and can just be tossed in whole.
If using whole potatoes just be sure to cut them into large pieces so they don’t overcook and fall apart (or cut them smaller and make mashed potatoes right in the Instant Pot).
How to Make Instant Pot Meatloaf
When it comes to making meatloaf in the Instant Pot it’s as easy as 1, 2, 3! I use this Instant Pot here to make this recipe.
1. Place the baby potatoes and broth on the bottom of the Instant Pot.
2. Prepare the meatloaf and place it on a piece of aluminum foil in the Instant Pot right on top of the potatoes (per recipe below).
3 Cook on high. Once cooked, remove from the Instant Pot, brush with topping and broil!
Let meatloaf rest before slicing (this seals in the juices), and serve with potatoes and steamed broccoli.
Tips for Success
Preparing meatloaf is a simple enough task but there are still a few tips that will help you make the perfect meatloaf every time!
- This recipe has only been tested in a 6qt Instant Pot. If your Instant Pot is a different size, cooking instructions may vary.
- If skipping the potatoes make sure to place the meatloaf on a trivet and add the broth or some water to make pressure.
- To prevent dry spots in the meatloaf, make sure all ingredients are mixed together well.
- Once cooked, add the topping and broil the meatloaf. This step is optional but it helps to caramelize the topping!
- Before slicing, be sure to let it sit for at least 10 minutes to prevent the slices from crumbling or falling apart before serving.
Serve It With…
Everything goes with meatloaf! But as an entrée, here are some sides, salads, and bread you are sure to love!
- SIDES: Serve with a side of roasted vegetables, glazed carrots, or sauteed green beans.
- SALADS: Try this classic wedge, a quick tossed salad, or crunchy cucumber tomato salad.
- BREAD: Perfectly paired with homemade garlic bread or easy cheesy rolls.
Leftover meatloaf is great to freeze or store in the refrigerator!
- Refrigerate: Keep meatloaf in an airtight container if you are keeping it in the refrigerator. It should last about 5 days.
- Freeze: Place it whole or in portions in a zippered bag or an airtight container and label with the date on it. Frozen meatloaf should keep about six weeks in the freezer.
- Reheat: Thaw and reheat easily in the oven at 350°F for about 20 minutes or in the microwave.
Nothing is better than next-day meatloaf sandwiches! Reheat a slab of leftover meatloaf and pop it between two slices of bread with some mayo, mustard, some onion, and lettuce and you’ve got a hearty and delicious lunch!
Easy Instant Pot Recipes
- Instant Pot Spaghetti – ready in 30 mins
- Instant Pot Chili – busy weeknight meal
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup – hearty soup
- Instant Pot Ribs – fall-off-the-bone tender
- Instant Pot Salisbury Steak – quick & delicious
- Instant Pot Pot Roast – belly-warming meal
- Instant Pot Risotto Carbonara – so creamy
Loved your Instant Pot Meatloaf? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Instant Pot Meatloaf
- 1 ½ pounds baby potatoes
- ½ onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- ⅔ cup chicken broth
- ½ onion finely diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- ¾ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- Place the baby potatoes, chopped onion, garlic, and broth in the bottom of a 6QT Instant-Pot.
- Cook diced onion (for the meatloaf) in butter until tender, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
- Combine all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Form into a loaf and place on a piece of foil. Fold the edges of the foil to make a "pan" for the meatloaf. Place the meatloaf on the trivet and add to the Instant Pot.
- Select manual and cook on high pressure 28 minutes. Allow to naturally release for 10 minutes.
- Remove any remaining pressure. Open the lid and ensure the meatloaf has reached 165°F. Remove meatloaf to a cutting board.
- Combine topping ingredients and brush over meatloaf. (Optional: Place under the broiler 3-4 minutes)
- Rest 10 minutes before slicing. Serve with potatoes.