Instant Pot Salisbury Steak is a quick and delicious dinner that is ready in just 35 minutes. On a cold winter day, there’s nothing like this comforting recipe coated in gravy to satisfy your cravings. Serve it over mashed potatoes with some roasted asparagus for the perfect meal!
This savory hearty main dish is made easy in the Instant Pot for a quick meal that tastes like you slaved all day!
What is Salisbury Steak?
When it comes to classic, home-cooked American cuisine, it doesn’t get any more delicious than Salisbury steak. This dish is nothing more than ground beef patties smothered in a rich onion and mushroom gravy. The ground beef is seasoned and mixed with egg and bread crumbs as a binder.
Traditionally, the patties are cooked in a skillet on the stovetop, and then simmered in Salisbury steak gravy, made with beef stock, onion and mushrooms. You could also pile the patties and the gravy ingredients in a crock pot, for slow cooker Salisbury steak. But if you’re looking to save time, this Instant Pot Salisbury steak with easy mushroom gravy is perfect!
How To Make Salisbury Steak From Scratch
I love cooking in my Instant Pot (if you aren’t familiar with them, you can learn more here: What is The Instant Pot?). Just follow these simple steps to make homemade Salisbury steak in your Instant Pot:
- Place chopped onion and sliced mushrooms in the bottom of your Instant Pot.
- Mix the ingredients for the beef patties, and shape into patties.
- Brown the patties in a skillet, and then layer onto the onion and mushrooms.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on high pressure.
I have browned the patties in the Instant Pot (on sautee) however they can be difficult to flip so using a non-stick frying pan is easier. Either way will work!
How To Make Salisbury Steak Gravy
No Salisbury steak would be complete without a rich gravy. After the patties are finished cooking in your Instant Pot, it’s super easy to make mushroom gravy right inside the Instant Pot:
- While the patties are still cooking in your Instant Pot, make a cornstarch and water slurry.
- When the cooking cycle is complete, depressurize and remove the lid. Set the patties aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to sauté, and when the sauce starts bubbling, stir in the cornstarch slurry to thicken.
Voila, perfect rich salisbury steak gravy!
You might have noticed by now that the ingredients for Salisbury steak patties are very similar to the ones we use for meatballs. This Instant Pot Salisbury steak recipe can easily be made into Salisbury steak meatballs. Instead of forming the meat, egg and bread crumb mixture into patties, form them into 1” meatballs. Then, just proceed with the rest of the recipe as directed.
More Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – delicious side dish!
- Salisbury Steak Burgers – perfect for leftovers
- Easy Swiss Steak – another great option!
- Sauteed Mushrooms with Garlic – for even more mushroom flavor!
- The Best Meatloaf! – if you have leftover ground beef
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak
- 8 ounces mushrooms sliced
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 ½ cups beef broth low sodium
- 1 ounces package brown gravy mix dry
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 egg yolk
- ⅓ cup Panko bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- salt & pepper to taste
- Place onions and mushrooms in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Combine beef patty ingredients and form 6 patties. Brown over medium high heat (about 3 minutes per side) in a skillet. *see note
- Layer beef patties over mushrooms. Combine remaining ingredients except water and cornstarch. Pour over beef and cook high pressure, 18 minutes.
- Quick release. Remove patties and set aside.
- Turn IP onto sautee. Combine cold water and cornstarch. Stir into the broth and let cook a few minutes until thickened. Add beef back into the sauce to coat.
- Serve over mashed potatoes or rice.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)