Spaghetti pie is the perfect dish for a kid friendly weeknight dinner or to serve to a group of hungry guests. This spaghetti pie recipe pulls together all of the best aspects of a comforting Italian classic – pasta – cheese, a zesty meat sauce, and more cheese!
Spaghetti Pie Ingredient Prep
Spaghetti pie is exactly what it sounds like. A crust of spaghetti & cheese topped with our favorite Homemade Spaghetti Sauce and more cheese. The whole thing is baked until bubbly and then sliced and served like a pie.
What’s in Spaghetti Pie? Spaghetti pie casserole is layered and the flavors remind me of lasagna (but I think it’s easier to prepare).
- The “crust” is made of noodles mixed with eggs and cheese.
- The eggs bind everything together so that you can easily cut your baked spaghetti pie into wedges.
- We use spaghetti but any long pasta will work in this recipe.
- This recipe uses a version of my favorite pasta sauce recipe.
- Simmer the sauce to make sure it’s thickened.
- Feel free to add in veggies like diced peppers, mushrooms and zucchini.
- A ricotta layer makes this recipe creamy. Add in your favorite herbs to this layer.
- You can use cottage cheese in place of ricotta. Cottage cheese has a bit more liquid so you may like to drain it a little bit.
- If you’re in a pinch, this recipe can be made without the ricotta layer.
How to Make Spaghetti Pie
What I love best about this spaghetti pie recipe is that it’s a terrific make-in-advance dinner that can be ready at a moment’s notice. It will keep in the refrigerator for a couple of days unbaked.
- Cook the spaghetti noodles al dente (they’ll cook a bit more in the oven) and toss with eggs and cheese. Press into a deep dish pie pan.
- Brown beef and stir in pasta sauce (or marinara sauce) and tomatoes. Simmer to thicken.
- Layer ricotta and meat sauce over spaghetti noodles. Top with cheese and bake.
Leftover Spaghetti Pie
Leftovers can be refrigerated about 3-4 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven until hot (time will vary based on portion sizes).
Leftovers can also be frozen in single portions for lunches. Defrost overnight in the fridge and microwave until heated through.
To Prepare Ahead of Time: Spaghetti pie is practically tailor made as make-in-advance meal for the freezer. Just prepare it as described here, but don’t bake. Instead, pop it in the freezer. When it’s frozen, take it out of the dish and transfer to a large, plastic baggie. Or, freeze it in a disposable foil pan to make clean up and gifting easier.
It can go straight from the freezer to the oven. Add an extra 30-45 minutes to the baking time. Cheesy and delicious, spaghetti pie is always welcome at the table!
More Spaghetti Favorites
- Spaghetti Carbonara – Restaurant quality made easy at home
- Homemade Spaghetti Sauce – my favorite!
- Homemade Chicken Spaghetti – so flavorful
- Million Dollar Spaghetti Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti – a classic
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 6 ounces spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- ½ teaspoon dried basil or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ small onion diced
- 14 ounces tomatoes diced, drained
- 2 cups pasta sauce
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cook spaghetti and drain. Toss with butter. Stir in eggs and parmesan cheese.
- Place spaghetti in a greased deep dish pie plate. Press to form a crust.
- Combine ricotta cheese, parsley and basil. Spread mixture over spaghetti.
- Brown beef and onion until no pink remains. Drain any fat. Add tomatoes and pasta sauce. Simmer 10 minutes or until thickened. Spread over ricotta cheese.
- Bake 20-25 minutes. Top with mozzarella and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Cool 10 minutes before serving.