Classic Wedge Salad: crunchy iceberg lettuce, a creamy homemade blue cheese dressing, crispy bacon, fresh tomato, and parsley. If wedge salad is on the menu, I can guarantee you I’m ordering it!
An easy wedge salad recipe is the perfect side, amazing with a juicy steak, or along side Oven Baked Chicken Breasts. The crunchy lettuce and toppings are fresh and fun with the tangy and rich wedge salad dressing.
Easy Wedge Salad
A few years ago my husband was a manager at a restaurant. It was a steak house, and I loved taking advantage of getting to eat there. I tried everything on the menu, and one of the things I always wanted was the iceberg wedge salad. A classic wedge salad is just so delicious. Knowing how to make a wedge salad is so easy! With the tangy dressing, rich blue cheese, and salty crunchy bacon, how can you go wrong?
I am a serious fan of blue cheese dressing, especially with these crispy oven baked chicken wings. But when you make it into a dressing, it makes salad not just tolerable, but downright delicious.
How do you wash lettuce for wedge salad?
One of the most important things you can do when making a wedge salad is to make sure your lettuce is clean. Because you serve it as a wedge, you need to chop it first, then wash it. If you don’t drain the water out, your salad will be watery. And if you don’t clean it well enough, you might get added crunch you don’t want–dirt! So here is how to wash lettuce for a wedge salad:
- Cut head of lettuce into quarters.
- Carefully separate the leaves and rinse thoroughly.
- Pat dry with paper towels. Turn upside down so any excess water can run out before serving.
Is Iceberg Salad Healthy?
For most people, eating salad is part of being healthy. Just like eating Thanksgiving Turkey is part of the holiday. But truth be told, iceberg lettuce has very little nutritional value. It has a lot of water in it, so that is good, but only small amounts of fiber and minerals.
What does this mean to you? Well it means you can enjoy your classic wedge knowing that the iceberg lettuce is low in calories and not bad for you, although it’s not good for you either. Which means, you don’t have to wait to be dieting or eating only salads to enjoy this special salad. In fact, pair it with a Salisbury Steak or Meatloaf for one tasty dinner.
You can turn this classic wedge salad into an amazing keto salad with a few adjustments. To make keto salad dressing for this delectable wedge salad, switch out the buttermilk for a keto friendly dairy (like sour cream or whipping cream), omit the sugar, and make sure that your other ingredients are suitable. You can also adapt it to make a low carb salad dressing. Low carb salads are tasty too!
More Salads You’ll Love
- Greek Quinoa Salad – loving this greek salad!
- Cucumber Avocado Salad – fresh and light
- Easy Greek Pasta Salad – reader favorite!
- BLT Pasta Salad – best combination of ingredients
- Creamy Cucumber Tomato Salad – quick and easy side salad
How do you make Blue Cheese dressing?
Never again should you buy a bottled dressing. The fact is, it is just too easy to make your own. This blue cheese dressing is simply delicious on this blue cheese wedge salad. It is packed with flavor and is so yummy without all the additives you get in a bottled dressing.
The real key is to just mix it all together and refrigerate. You have to give it time to let all those flavors meld together. Even 30 minutes of time to let it meld together is a good idea. If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, you can always use Buttermilk Ranch Dressing instead!
What Should I Serve With a Classic Wedge Salad?
This classic wedge salad makes a fantastic lunch all by itself, but I love eating it as part of a dinner, or the salad course of a fancy meal. Here are a few of my favorite recipes to serve this with:
- Easy Grilled Chicken Breasts are fantastic with this wedge. It keeps things simple and flavorful.
- A wedge salad is classically paired with a perfectly cooked steak.
- Want soup and salad for lunch? Try this wedge salad with this Minestrone Soup.
- Don’t forget to add some Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks!
Classic Wedge Salad
- 1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup cooked and crumbled bacon
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Combine blue cheese, sour cream, buttermilk, mayonnaise, vinegar, olive oil, and sugar in a bowl; blend using a hand mixer. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. Chill until ready to serve.
- Build the salad by placing 1 lettuce wedge on each of 8 plates. Drizzle equal amounts of dressing over each wedge of lettuce. Scatter tomatoes, bacon, and blue cheese over each salad, and garnish with fresh parsley.