A great Wedge Salad is a classic for good reason! Crunchy iceberg lettuce, a creamy homemade dressing, crispy bacon, fresh tomato, and parsley.
This salad is fresh, crisp, and oh-so-easy to make at home!
An Easy Side Salad
A few years ago my husband was a manager at a steak house, and I loved taking advantage of getting to eat there. One of the things I always wanted was the iceberg wedge salad.
The great thing is that this salad is so easy to make at home! Serve it with a full-on steak dinner or even next to a Thanksgiving Turkey dinner!
How to Wash Lettuce for Wedge Salad
When making a wedge salad you want to make sure the lettuce is clean while still having it hold its shape.
Be sure to drain the water very well so your salad isn’t watery.
- Cut a head of lettuce into quarters leaving the core intact to hold the leaves together.
- Carefully separate the leaves and rinse thoroughly.
- Pat dry with paper towels. Turn upside down so any excess water can run out before serving. Cut the core out just before serving.
MAKE AHEAD Prepare your lettuce as directed above and store it in a container or bag with a piece paper towel in the fridge. The lettuce will be extra crisp and ready to eat any time!
Never again will you want to buy a bottled dressing, it is just too easy to make your own.
The dressing below is simply delicious on this blue cheese wedge salad. It is packed with flavor and is so yummy without all the additives you get in bottled dressing. Give it time to let all of the flavors meld together; even 30 minutes if you can. (Make extra blue cheese dressing to serve with crispy oven baked chicken wings)!
If you’re not a fan of blue cheese, this Buttermilk Ranch Dressing is a favorite!
This classic wedge salad makes a fantastic meal all by itself, but I love eating it as part of a dinner, or the salad course of a fancy meal. Swap up the toppings to include your favorites.
- Boiled Eggs
- Chopped Red Onion
- Blue cheese or goat cheese
More Salads We Love
Classic Wedge Salad
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 head iceberg lettuce cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tomatoes diced
- 1 cup bacon cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbled
- ¼ cup fresh parsley
- Combine dressing ingredients in a bowl; blend using a hand mixer. Taste, and add salt and pepper as needed. Chill until ready to serve.
- Build the salad by placing 1 lettuce wedge on each of 8 plates. Drizzle equal amounts of dressing over each wedge of lettuce.
- Scatter tomatoes, bacon, and blue cheese over each salad, and garnish with fresh parsley.
- To Prepare the lettuce, cut the head into quarters leaving the core intact to hold the leaves together.
- Carefully separate the leaves and rinse thoroughly. Pat dry with paper towels. Turn upside down so any excess water can run out before serving.
- Cut each quarter in half (so you have 8 wedges). Cut the core out just before serving.