Cabbage Roll Casserole is a super easy meal that you can prepare any day of the week.
Cabbage Rolls are delicious! I grew up on cabbage rolls made by my mom and grandma!
Recently, I’ve been making a cabbage roll casserole… so much quicker than rolling up the rolls themselves and equally delicious!
Here is one of my favorite things about recipes! You start with one thing and along the way the recipe gets tried and modified and shared and passed on. Finally, you may end up with something else that was just as wonderful or sometimes even better!
Last week, a reader had asked me if my Cabbage Roll Casserole recipe would work in the slow cooker… I hadn’t tried it! Well, Sue tested it out and I knew I had to try it out right away! I had a couple of different items in my pantry so I modified it a tiny bit further but let me tell you, the results were AMAZING!! This is my favorite cabbage roll dish yet! So a special thank you to Sue for inspiring this yummy recipe, you won’t be disappointed!
If you’re looking for another hearty dinner idea, be sure to check out my Cabbage Roll Soup recipe!
Crock Pot Cabbage Roll Casserole!
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef or pork (or a mixture of the two)
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 onion , diced
- 15 oz tomato sauce, divided
- 1 cup water
- 10.5 oz can condensed tomato soup
- 28 oz canned diced tomatoes with juices
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice uncooked
- 1 medium head cabbage
- 1/3 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 cups Mozzarella cheese (optional).
- Brown beef or pork, onion, garlic and seasonings over medium heat until no pink remains. Drain.
- Add 1 cup tomato sauce, 1 cup water and 1/2 can of tomato soup and diced tomatoes to the beef.
- Stir in rice, and mix well until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Chop cabbage into 4 wedges and remove core. Chop into chunks (mine were about 3/4"x1.5").
- Layer 1/2 of the meat mixture and 1/2 of the cabbage in the slow cooker. Repeat layers.Place half the meat and then half the cabbage in cooker.
- Combine the remaining tomato soup, remaining tomato sauce and 1/3 cup water. Pour over top of cabbage.
- Cook on low 4-6 hours or just until rice is cooked. Once done, turn slow cooker off, sprinkle cheese on top and let sit 10 minutes to set and melt cheese.