If you want to know How to Peel Peaches the easy way, we’ve got you covered!
There is nothing that compares with homemade peach pie. And who doesn’t love peach crisp with whipped cream? It may seem like a lot of work to be boiling and blanching (and possibly even canning or freezing) but this method of peeling peaches is the best way I’ve found to get the job done fast.
What is Blanching?
This process of boiling for a short period of time and immediately stopping the cooking process using an ice bath is called “blanching.” Blanching is not just for peeling, but for freezing purposes as well!
The Best Ways to Peel Peaches
Blanching: The simple method below changed my peach peeling woes forever.
- Prep: Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Prepare another large container with a lot of ice and some water, and place it beside the boiling water.
- Score: Lightly score each peach on the bottom, using an “X” shape.
- Boil: Place a few peaches at a time into the boiling water for 10 to 20 seconds until the skin starts to split.
- Peel: Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer each peach to the ice water bath to stop the cooking process. Starting at the “X” you made, use a paring knife to remove the skin. The whole skin should just slide right off easily!
Can You Freeze Peaches Without Blanching Them?
Blanching is a must before freezing any type of fruit or vegetable. If this step is skipped, the peaches will not retain their color, flavor, or texture very well. Fortunately, blanching also makes it easier to peel them, so it’s a win-win!
How to Slice Peach Pieces
Slicing a peach is as easy as (peach) pie!
- At the top of the peach where the stem was, insert the tip of a paring knife until you feel the pit.
- Slowly slice all the way around the peach, turning it as you go, making sure the paring knife is contacting the pit all the way around.
- Twist the two sides in opposite directions until they come apart in two halves.
- Remove the pit & cut both halves into 1/4 inch slices.
Perfect Peach Recipes
- Homemade Peach Pie – heavenly homemade dessert
- Peaches and Cream – simple & delicious
- Homemade Peach Crisp – melt-in-your-mouth tender
- Easy Homemade Peach Cobbler – juicy peaches in a butter cake
- Peach Dump Cake – just 4 ingredients
What’s your favorite way to peel peaches? Let us know in the comments below!