When you make homemade hot chocolate, your kids will want to play outside in the cold and snow every day to come inside for a cup of this creamy cocoa! Made with chunks of real semi-sweet chocolate melted into cream…it’s hands down the best hot chocolate you’ll ever taste!
When the colder months hit, I’m obsessed with making cozy drinks; Pumpkin Spice Lattes, Homemade Eggnog, or hot chocolate bombs just give me a hug in a mug! What could be better than coming in from the cold to sweet and creamy homemade hot chocolate?
Keeping Hot Chocolate From Burning
Trying to cook chocolate too quickly on high heat doesn’t work. Homemade hot chocolate needs a bit of patience!
- Cook over medium heat.
- Ensure the mixture never comes to a boil, you want little bubbles to begin to form around the edges.
- Chocolate, like this recipe calls for, can easily burn as it melts so be sure to whisk constantly.
How To Make Homemade Hot Chocolate
This recipe can be made for one or for a crowd, simply double or triple it!
- Combine the milk, cream, and sugar (per recipe below), in a pan over medium heat.
- Whisk until chocolate melts and continue mixing until steaming hot and frothy! (Don’t allow it to come to a boil!)
- Stir in vanilla, then serve with your favorite toppings
My Favorite Hot Chocolate Toppings
Some irresistible toppings that everyone adores are:
- Whipped cream of course, try with flaked chocolate or a drizzle of chocolate sauce!
- Steamed milk with a dusting of cinnamon or cocoa powder
- A dollop of coconut cream (especially good if you make this recipe with white chocolate!)
- A scoop of vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of caramel!
- Candy cane stir sticks!
- And of course everyone’s favorite marshmallows. Tiny or giant, multi colored or plain white, you just can’t beat hot chocolate with marshmallows!
With this simple recipe you may never go back to prepackaged hot cocoa again…it’s absolutely the best hot chocolate you’ll ever taste!
Hot & Cozy Drinks
- Homemade Apple Cider – delicious spiced apple drink
- Irish Coffee – sweet & strong with a decadent kick!
- Pumpkin Spice Latte – better than Starbucks
- Homemade Apple Cider – warm and spicy
- Spiked Eggnog Latte – 4 simple ingredients!
Homemade Hot Chocolate
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine milk, cream and sugar over medium-low heat. Whisk until hot and sugar is dissolved.
- Add chocolate and whisk until melted in.
- Stir in vanilla and serve with whipped cream or marshmallows.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.