This Spiked Eggnog Latte is a delicious twist on classic eggnog!
Dark espresso draped with steamy, creamy eggnog with a hint of Baileys Irish cream create a luscious and heavenly beverage, it will warm you from your head to your toes.
No special fancy equipment is required to make make this latte at home so it’s the perfect drink for anyone to enjoy on a cold winters day!
The holiday season is the perfect time to break out the eggnog!
Grocery coolers are stocked and ready for the influx of seasonal shoppers who want to treat themselves and their guests to this seasonal favorite.
I love a glass of eggnog and normally opt for lite eggnog (or add a bit of low fat milk to the regular version) and top it off with spiced rum, ground nutmeg and a cinnamon swizzle stick.
This brings back wonderful memories of getting together with family and friends to trim the tree or just come together for games.
The only thing better than a glass of eggnog is a dreamy, steamy, coffee-kissed mug of eggnog on a chilly wintery day!
When I head to my local cafe, I always add a splash of eggnog to my usual drink to make an eggnog latte inspired drink. (Inquiring minds… my usual is an Americano Misto which is like a latte but half water-half milk so it’s not so rich)!
My friend Donnalea, who also works on this blog almost daily with me, shared this amazing indulgent eggnog latte creation! It’s kind of her go-to holiday drink and it’s easy to see why, I know it’s going to be a regular around here too!
So this week while we were working on the blog making green beans and pork tenderloin and up to our armpits in dishes, we snuck in an afternoon Baileys Eggnog Latte… you know, “for work”. I mean if we take photos and share it on the blog, it’s technically work right?!
Lattes are truly one of my indulgences and as much as I love lattes, I love them even more when shared with friends. Something about sipping on a warm steamy mug of coffee kissed milk is truly the perfect way to spend time with friends.
Recently I went on a blog retreat with friends to Breckenridge, Colorado which is honestly one of the most gorgeous towns I’ve ever visited. I have to admit, the morning coffees, lattes and a visit to the cutest Starbucks on the planet to get mugs for my girls were some of my favorite times! (Ok and the visit to The Canteen, when you visit Breckenridge, visit the Canteen, that meal was EPIC)!
Seriously the cutest ever Starbucks right?!
Ok, back to Donnalea’s eggnog lattes!
We started with eggnog (light is best but any will work) and then add the magic ingredient… Baileys Irish cream, to take this from a regular eggnog latte to a hug in a mug! Perfect to serve along side your favorite coffee cake or holiday dessert!
Not only delicious, this hot beverage is super easy to make and you truly do not need any special equipment!
How to Make a Latte at Home
- Espresso: Dark espresso is the essential base for this drink! You can use a coffee pod (or espresso K-cup), an espresso maker or simply use instant espresso grounds which requires just water.
- Milk (or Eggnog): If you don’t have a steamer, heat milk in a small saucepan on the stovetop or in the microwave until hot. Once hot, whisk with a whisk, a fork or a frother until foamy. If you’d prefer, you can pour your milk into a mason jar and shake it until foamy before heating.
- Ratio: I prefer 1/4 espresso to 3/4 milk/eggnog but I like a stronger coffee taste. Start slowly and you can continue adding milk until you reach the perfect ratio!
- Flavorings: You can add sweeteners, vanilla syrup or even top your latte with spices such as cinnamon or nutmeg for a little bit of extra flavor.
- Make it Boozy: If you’re wondering what liquor goes good with eggnog, we like Baileys Irish Cream (of course) or Kahlua. Feel free to experiment (Rum Chata is another great one), we add about an ounce of liquor to our lattes to spike ’em!
- Keep it hot: To keep your latte hot, fill your mugs with hot tap water while you’re prepping your ingredients and heat any additions (syrups/liquors) along with the milk.
- Add foam on top: The foam on top is traditionally used to keep the heat in so spoon a little overtop of your latte before serving.
This hot beverage is perfect any time of day! Enjoy it on Christmas morning while opening your gifts or take time for yourself in the afternoon wrapped up in a blanket by the fire with that new book!
It’s also a great way to finish off Christmas dinner as you push away from the table after you are seasonally sated!
Should you choose to make this a non-alcoholic version, simply leave out the liquor. Either way, this Eggnog Latte will definitely warm the coddles of your heart this holiday season.
From our homes to yours, Happy Holidays! xoxo
SPIKED EGGNOG LATTE
- 2 cups light eggnog
- 2 oz dark espresso pod, fresh or instant
- 2 oz Irish cream liquor
- ground nutmeg ground cinnamon and/or cinnamon stick for garnish
- Prepare espresso and pour evenly between 2 mugs.
- Combing the eggnog and Irish cream in a large microwave safe measuring cup.
- Heat for 1 minute, then additional 30 second intervals just until the milk starts to a boil.
- Using a frother or a whisk, froth the hot milk mixture.
- Pour over hot espresso and garnish to taste.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)