Baked Cod is gently cooked in a lemon butter sauce and surrounded by roasted tomatoes and capers.
This is a perfect quick and easy fish recipe that can be ready in less than 30 minutes. It’s simple yet fresh and flavorful!
We love this recipe for Baked Cod.
- It’s simple and fast!
- The fish comes out tender and flaky every time.
- It’s light fresh and a healthy alternative to red meat.
COD If fillets are too large, replace them with cod loins which are shorter but fatter. They will take longer to cook and a meat thermometer should be used to make sure they’re baked fully through. Both cuts of cod can be found fresh or frozen!
SAUCE Lemon juice and butter are an ideal match for the mild, buttery flavor of cod.
TOMATOES Roasted tomatoes give the dish a savory flavor and a pop of color.
BASIL Fresh herbs are the perfect way to finish off this dish before serving.
Variation: A light, breaded topping can be made by combining some Panko breadcrumbs with olive oil, lemon zest and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the top of the fish before baking.
PRO TIP: Place the baked fish under the broiler for 1 minute for an extra crunchy crust on the top.
How to Bake Cod
It’s so easy to make this luscious and flaky cod, and it just takes a few quick prep steps to perfect fish!
- Toss cod with lemon juice & 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a bowl. Chill in the refrigerator.
- Toss tomatoes with remaining olive oil, garlic, basil, capers, salt, & pepper; roast.
- Nestle the cod with roasted tomatoes & capers, drizzle butter over the cod, bake according to the recipe below.
What to Serve with Baked Cod
- Roasted Potatoes and Carrots, Creamy Beet Pasta Egg Noodles, or low-carb Creamy Zucchini Noodles.
- For veggie sides, we like Roasted Brussels Sprouts(which can be cooked right with the tomatoes),
- And for a salad, try a light and Classic Wedge Salad or Spinach Salad with Warm Bacon Dressing.
- Keep leftover cod in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. It makes great leftovers as Fish Tacos!
- Reheat in the microwave, serve cold over a salad, or tuck into a wrap for a workday lunch.
- Cod can be frozen for up to two months if wrapped tightly, but the texture won’t be the same once it’s thawed. In this case, use it in soups or stews.
Our Fave Fish Dishes
- Air Fryer Fish & Chips – use fresh or frozen fillets
- Salmon Croquettes – baked or fried
- Teriyaki Salmon – 30 minute meal
- Baked Fish Nuggets – perfect for dipping
- Air Fryer Salmon – tender or flaky
- Lemon Garlic Butter Baked Cod – so flavorful!
Did you make this Baked Cod? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Baked Cod with Tomatoes & Capers
- 4 cod filets 5-6 ounces each
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil + 1 teaspoon, divided
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- fresh parsley and basil for serving optional
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss cod with lemon juice and 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Place in the refrigerator.
- Toss tomatoes with remaining tablespoon of olive oil, garlic, basil, capers, and salt & pepper to taste. Place in a 9x13 pan and roast 10 minutes.
- Remove cod from the fridge and nestle in the pan with the tomatoes. Drizzle melted butter over cod.
- Bake for 11-14 minutes or just until opaque and the fish flakes easily. Do not overcook.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parsley and basil before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I can’t find the definition for lemon pepper seasoning in this recipe. What is it?
Hi Kathleen, we have a homemade lemon pepper seasoning recipe that explains it best!
It’s in the seasoning aisle…..
Excellent recipe. Even my picky eaters loved it. We will have it again soon.
I am so happy to hear this recipe was a hit George!
No cherry tomatoes so I substituted a small can of drained, diced tomatoes that I crushed somewhat. I added a bit of honey, too. YUM
So happy you enjoyed this recipe, Diane!
I made this recipe yesterday, 3/4/2022 with great results. The roasted tomatoes were delicious. The cod perfectly flavored. I used the tip regarding a few bread crumbs under the broiler since I didn’t have either fresh parsley or basil. My only issue was that I left the cod a bit too long in the marinade and the fish was not as firm textured as I would have liked, but that’s on me. I have printed this recipe and added it to my recipes. We will be making this again soon. Delicious!
So glad you enjoyed this recipe, David!
This is my go to recipe for baked cod. Love it! I’ve made this several times and having it again tonight.
Thanks for sharing Cindy!
Great! Tried to duplicate the Maggiano’s recipe! Close but “ No Cigar” !!! Not the fish problem b/c it was great, fresh cod from Seattle( frozen) it was wonderful ( caught, flash frozen) and shipped. But my cooking????? Anyway, it was GREAT- capers, lemons, garlic, and Love!!!! Hi
I am glad you enjoyed it, Victoria!
Excellent recipe – simple prep with delicious result
Glad you enjoyed it, Daniel!
Very delicious .. I made it! It was easy and so tasty! I’ll make it again soon!
Glad to hear you enjoyed it!!
I made this tonight and it was very good. I will make it again. With the tomatoes and the other several ingredients, it made a little sauce that I think would have gone great with the rice I wish I would have made. I have leftovers, so tomorrow I’ll make the rice with the leftovers. Thanks.
Learning how to cook…..