Tahini Sauce is definitely an all-purpose winner in the kitchen, nutty and delicious in flavor!
What is Tahini?
Tahini is a paste made from crushed sesame seeds. With a little lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, and water it creates the perfect sauce, dip, or dressing!
How to Make Tahini Sauce
It’s super easy to make your own homemade tahini!
- Mash garlic and salt into a fine paste.
- Whisk remaining ingredients (except water) in to incorporate.
- Add water, a little at a time, to reach desired consistency.
Stir in cilantro or parsley before serving!
If you notice your tahini is not smooth or it’s grainy in texture (image below), you need to add more water a bit at a time to smooth it out. To make dressing, add more water to reach desired consistency.
What to Eat it With
Usually, you see tahini as a sauce on Middle Eastern menus, but it’s great on other foods too. Here are a couple of recipes to get you inspired to try tahini!
- Try it as a dip with chicken souvlaki.
- Tahini is perfect on a veggie platter or used as a sandwich or burger spread!
- And of course, it goes great with falafel!
How Long Does It Last?
Homemade tahini will last about 2-3 days in the refrigerator in an airtight bottle or container. It will separate as homemade peanut butter does, so be sure to shake the container or mix it up before using it.
More Delicious Dips and Dressing
- Homemade Hummus – simple & easy dip!
- Creamy Artichoke Dip – 5-minute dip
- Easy Baba Ganoush – light & creamy spread
- Tzatziki Sauce – yogurt-cucumber dip
- Spicy Dill Dip – full of flavor!
- Chimichurri Sauce – loaded with fresh herbs & spices
Did you enjoy this Tahini Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ lemon squeezed (about 2 tablespoons)
- cold water as needed up to 2-4 tablespoons
- cilantro/parsley to taste about a tablespoon, optional
- Place garlic on a cutting board with salt. Using a fork, mash to a fine paste.
- Add garlic paste, tahini, olive oil and lemon juice to a bowl. Whisk until smooth.
- Add water as needed to reach desired consistency.
- Stir in a cilantro/parsley if using.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!