Taco Soup is an easy 30 minute meal that is downright delicious! This soup recipe is filled with ground beef, beans, veggies and of course taco seasoning. Simply simmer and enjoy!
Favorite Soup Recipe
What is taco soup you ask? This easy Taco Soup Recipe combines two of my favorite things; ground beef tacos and belly warming soup! If you’ve ever visited Spend With Pennies before, you know we enjoy a lot of soup recipes around here!
Taco Soup Tips
- Ground Beef: I prefer to use lean ground beef, simply brown and drain any fat. You can substitute ground turkey or ground or chopped chicken.
- Vegetables: Add any veggies you have on hand. Peppers, mushrooms, zucchini… the sky’s the limit.
- Beans: I use canned beans to eliminate the rehydration step. Drain well and rinse before adding. Black or kidney beans can be used in this recipe.
- Spices: Homemade taco seasoning is a favorite for this recipe but store bought works as well. If you’d like it spicy, add in a dash of cayenne pepper or extra jalapenos.
How to Make Taco Soup
This Taco Soup recipe is made on the stove top and is literally as easy as 1, 2, 3. It’s the perfect weeknight meal because taco soup cooks for 15 minutes so it’s really fast (and a great way to use up leftover taco meat)!
To make it on the stovetop:
- Brown ground beef with onion and drain off extra fat.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Top it with your choice of taco toppings like sour cream, jalapeños, cheese and crispy tortillas.
What to Serve With Taco Soup?
Taco Soup can be served with a bun or a slice of bread, tortilla chips and cheese or yummy Pull Apart Bread Rolls. If your taco soup is more of an appetizer or the first course for a dinner party, it is perfect served before Chicken Fajitas or Shrimp Fajitas! And don’t forget to include a delicious dessert like Apple Pie Tacos!
Set out a tray of toppings for everyone to garnish their own bowls! Some of my favorite toppings are:
- Green onion
- Sliced Jalapeno
- Fresh tomatoes
- Salsa, Sour Cream and Guacamole
FRIDGE: Taco soup will last a few days in the fridge. If you plan to keep it longer than that, this soup freezes perfectly!
FREEZER: I love to freeze it in individual portions so I can take one out for lunch or several out for a family meal!
More Taco Inspired Recipes You’ll Love
- Beef Taco Casserole – Easy family meal!
- Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – Great for potlucks.
- Easy Taco Chicken Soup
- Dorito Taco Salad – Reader favorite!
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion
- 16 oz can pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 10 oz can Rotel tomatoes
- 4 oz can green chile peppers
- 1/3 cup green pepper or 1/2 small green pepper
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- In a large pot, brown ground beef with onion till no pink remains. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.