This taco soup recipe is an easy 30-minute meal that is packed with flavor!
A really fast and hearty soup filled with ground beef, beans, peppers, and of course taco seasoning. Simply simmer and enjoy!
A Quick and Easy Soup Recipe
It’s a bit like chili in the hearty healthy goodness but the flavor is taco-inspired!
- Ready in 30 minutes from start to finish.
- One pot means less dishes to wash.
- Uses simple ingredients and pantry staples.
- This soup welcomes add ins like veggies.
- Family friendly, it’s mild and you can add your favorite toppings
Lean Ground Beef is our favorite choice but you can also substitute ground turkey or ground/chopped chicken.
Frozen corn helps bulk up the soup and adds nutrition. Canned works too. We add bell peppers for flavor. Add whatever veggies you have or love.
Pantry Ingredients keep this recipe quick and easy.
Canned beans make it quick, be sure to drain and rinse before adding. My favorites are pinto or black beans but again, add any kind.
Green chilies are mild but pack great flavor, I buy a small 4 oz can and keep a few in the pantry. Rotel tomatoes and tomato sauce add zesty flavor and a bit of heat.
Seasonings are simple. Homemade taco seasoning is a favorite for this recipe but a packet store-bought works just as well.
Season to your liking by adding extras. Try chili powder, cumin, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder…. basically whatever spices you love.
To make it spicy, add in some extra jalapenos or a couple of dashes of hot sauce.
How to Make Taco Soup
This Taco Soup recipe is made on the stovetop and simmers for about 15 minutes making it the perfect weeknight meal (and a great way to use up leftover taco meat)!
- Brown ground beef in a soup pot with onion. Drain any fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot.
- Simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt & pepper and finish with a squeeze of lime and some cilantro if you’d like!
Toppings for Taco Soup
Taco Soup can be served with a bun or a slice of bread, tortilla chips, tortillas, and cheese.
Set out a tray of toppings for everyone to garnish their own bowls! Some of my favorite toppings are avocado, green onion, jalapeno, tomatoes, cilantro, and salsa.
FRIDGE: This will last a few days in the refrigerator. If you plan to keep it longer than that, this soup freezes perfectly!
FREEZER: You can freeze taco soup. We place in freezer bags in individual portions. This makes it’s easy to take one out for lunch or several out for a family meal!
More Mexican & Tex Mex Inspired Soups
- Crock Pot Tortilla Soup
- Easy Chicken Taco Soup
- Easy White Chicken Chili
- Crock Pot Taco Soup
- Black Bean Soup
- Chicken Tortilla Soup
Did you enjoy this Taco Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Taco Soup Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 onion diced
- 16 ounces pinto beans drained and rinsed
- 10 ounces Rotel tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 ounces green chile peppers diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- ⅓ cup green pepper diced (or ½ small green pepper)
- 1 package taco seasoning mix or homemade
- In a large pot, brown ground beef with onion till no pink remains. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, turn down to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
- Beef Taco Casserole – Easy family meal!
- Salmon Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- Taco Stuffed Pasta Shells
- Crockpot Chicken Tacos – Great for potlucks.
- Easy Taco Chicken Soup
- Chicken Street Tacos
- Dorito Taco Salad – Reader favorite!