Chicken Fajita Salad is a delicious way to enjoy Chicken Fajitas! A crisp green salad topped with grilled chicken, peppers and onions is brought together with a simple flavorful vinaigrette!
What’s in a Fajita Salad?
- Lettuce: We love a nice crisp romaine for this salad but you can use any type of lettuce or a combination of kale and lettuce
- Vegetables: Traditional fajita veggies including bell peppers and onions.
- Protein: Chili Lime Chicken Breasts are the star of this meal. Swap them out for shrimp or even grilled steaks.
- Flavors: Add lots of cheese, a few spoonfuls of zesty salsa or jalapenos. Top with a scoop of guacamole or pico de gallo!
To Make Fajita Salad
This easy salad bowl comes together in three simple steps. Just cook, combine, and serve!
- Cook seasoned chicken breasts (per recipe below).
- Pan fry peppers, onion, and fajita seasoning in the same skillet until tender crisp.
- Serve by equally dividing chopped romaine between two bowls. Place one sliced chicken breast over lettuce in each bowl. Top with half the veggie mixture on each salad.
Drizzle the lime vinaigrette dressing over the top and toss to combine.
How Long Will It Last?
This salad will last, undressed about 3 days in the fridge as long as it is covered. With the dressing, it could go about 2 days, then it starts to get soggy.
Be sure not to overdress it if you think you won’t finish it in one sitting! It IS an entrée recipe! Keep salad tightly covered in the fridge to keep it crisp! If you are making it in advance to serve later, don’t add the dressing until you are ready to serve it to keep it from getting soggy!
Other Delicious Mix-Ins!
- Fresh: diced tomatoes, shredded cabbage, sliced jalapenos
- Flavorful: crumbled cotija cheese, refried, pinto or black beans
- Crunchy: crushed tortilla chips or strips
Must-Try Salad Recipes!
- Southwest Avocado Salad – colorful, flavorful, & filling
- Frito Taco Salad – ready in 30 mins!
- Black Bean Quinoa Salad – full of fresh veggies
- Easy Taco Salad – classic weeknight meal!
- Chicken Burrito Bowl – a crowd-pleasing favorite!
Chicken Fajita Salad
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 teaspoons fajita seasoning divided
- 3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 green bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper cored and thinly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 heads romaine hearts chopped
- 1 avocado peeled, seeded and diced
- ½ cup Monterey jack cheese
Cilantro lime vinaigrette:
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 clove garlic grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Place chicken breasts on a plate and season both sides with 2 teaspoons fajita seasoning.
- Over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add seasoned chicken breast and cook 18-20 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F. Then remove and let rest on a plate.
- In the same skillet, add the remaining olive oil, green & red bell peppers, yellow onion, and remaining fajita seasoning. Cook until soft but not falling apart.
- In 2 large salad bowls add an equal amount of chopped romaine lettuce.
- Slice the chicken and add 1 sliced breast to each salad along with half the pepper and onion mixture and avocado.
- Top with cilantro lime vinaigrette and toss to combine.
Cilantro Lime Vinaigrette:
- Add all ingredients to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)