The Best Egg Salad Recipe is an easy favorite! Nothing is more picnic perfect than hard boiled eggs mixed with mayo and a pinch of mustard and of course crunchy with celery and green onions!
Whether you make an egg salad sandwich or a healthy egg salad using lettuce or low carb wraps, nothing says ‘all American’ like and egg salad!
How Long to Boil Eggs for Egg Salad
I use this method for perfect hard boiled eggs every time. They come out with tender cooked whites and creamy yellow middles (without a grey ring).
I bring them to a boil and then remove from the heat and let sit covered for 15-17 minutes (large eggs). Run under cold water and peel one to make sure it’s perfect.
How to Make Egg Salad
Are Your Eggs Fresh? The best egg salad recipe begins with great ingredients. Fresh eggs will cook better and look brighter. A fresh egg will lay on its side on the bottom of a bowlful of water, if they are a little older, they’ll still sink, but stay on one end. Don’t eat eggs if they float on the surface of the water, this means they’ve expired.
Be sure to finely dice the onion and celery so the pieces are smaller than the egg pieces!
To Make Egg Salad Sandwiches
Mash the yolks with mayonnaise until completely smooth and then fold in the whites. This makes for the best egg salad, it comes out so creamy!
I use an egg slicer to chop the whites placing the white in the slicer, cut and then turn the egg and placing it through again. Make the chopping really quick! I use my egg slicer for other things too like strawberries, kiwi and it’s especially great for cutting mushrooms to make chicken marsala.
The Perfect Lunch
- Boil, cool and peel the eggs. Cut in half, remove the yolks and chop whites.
- Mash the egg yolks with the mayonnaise, mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the chopped egg whites and the green onion, celery, the chopped fresh dill. Blend carefully and serve cold on bread, a salad, or a wrap!
- For a fresh take, try making an avocado egg salad with mashed avocado! Super healthy take on an American classic!
How Long Does Egg Salad Last?
You mean if there’s any leftovers? It’s pretty easy to tell when egg salad is ready to be tossed. It will get watery and lose its bright color! But chances are, this egg salad recipe won’t last too long in your house!
More Easy Salads
- Shrimp Salad – great on croissants
- The Best Potato Salad Recipe (Easy) – so delicious
- The BEST Chicken Salad – the best sandwiches!
- Ham Salad – Great for leftovers!
- Waldorf Salad – Fresh and crunchy!
- Classic Tuna Salad – Easy recipe great over lettuce or on bread!
- 8 eggs hard boiled and cooled
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 ½ teaspoons yellow mustard
- 1 green onion thinly sliced
- 1 rib celery finely diced
- 2 teaspoons fresh dill chopped
- Cut eggs in half. Remove yolks and chop whites.
- Mash yolks with mayonnaise, mustard and salt & pepper to taste until smooth and creamy.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Serve on bread or over lettuce.