Savory mushroom sauce is rich, creamy, and loaded with mushroom flavor!
This sauce is easy to make and ready in about 20 minutes! Spoon it over pork, chicken, or even pour it over pasta for a delicious meal!
Why We Love This Recipe
Mushroom sauce has amazing flavor and is ready in just 20 mins, it is the best last-minute addition to any meal!
Any kind of mushrooms work in this recipe, I love to use a combination!
This versatile sauce is delicious served with anything spooned over pork chops, chicken, pasta, meatballs, or even rice.
It is perfect to use as a gravy for garlic roasted smashed potatoes or a simple sauce for sautéed asparagus or roasted cauliflower!
Ingredients & Variations
The recipe here will produce a smooth and almost silk-like consistency.
BROTH Chicken broth is the perfect subtle flavor for this recipe but it can easily be replaced with vegetable broth for a similar flavor or beef broth for a richer flavor.
CREAM Heavy cream, half-and-half, light cream, or milk can all be used in this recipe. But keep in mind, the lighter the cream the thinner and less creamy the sauce will be!
WINE For a deeper flavor, sub out the white wine for red and if there’s no wine at all, feel free to use some extra broth.
MUSHROOMS Experiment with different mushrooms like diced portobello or sliced shiitake or oyster mushroom!
How to Make Mushroom Sauce
Easy and creamy, this sauce comes together in 1, 2, 3!
- Saute onion, add mushrooms, salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme until tender.
- Deglaze* the pan with wine.
- Add broth and cream. Stir thoroughly and serve.
Deglazing the pan is the perfect way to release every flavorful bit of food from the bottom of the pan!
Tips & Tricks
For a smooth & creamy sauce be sure to combine all ingredients thoroughly at each step. This will prevent clumps from forming in your sauce.
The mushroom sauce can be thickened by simmering just a little longer.
What to Serve with Mushroom Sauce
For an easy weeknight meal, try serving over oven-baked chicken breasts or grilled pork chops or tenderloin with this amazing sauce!
Think outside of the can by adding homemade mushroom sauce to sirloin tip roast or over roasted vegetables. Or even use it as a gravy for mashed potatoes!
How did you serve this creamy Mushroom Sauce? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- ½ small onion diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 12 ounces mushrooms brown or white, sliced
- salt and ground pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Saute onion in butter until softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook until mushrooms have released juices. Add garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the wine to deglaze and loosen any bits off the pan and simmer a few minutes until the wine has almost evaporated.
- Add the chicken broth and cream. Simmer 5 minutes or until reduced by half.
- To thicken the sauce further, combine cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water (or broth) and mix well. Add cornstarch mixture into the broth a little bit at a time to reach desired consistency. You may not need all of the cornstarch mixture.
- Let simmer 1 minute.
- Season with parsley, salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Our Favorite Sauce Recipes
- Creamy Cheese Sauce – great served over any veggie
- Homemade Bolognese Sauce – hearty, rich, and easy sauce
- Hamburger Gravy – perfect for biscuits or pasta
- Homemade Pasta Sauce – rich, meaty sauce
- Herb Basil Pesto – full of flavor
Delicious! Thank you so much for this super simple yet amazing mushroom sauce!
This is a great recipe! I’m now in love with mushrooms. thank you!
It would help if you put stove temps, you never do, not sure why! That’s the only thing I hate about ALL of your recipes! Otherwise sauce was amazing, luckily I’m skilled in the kitchen or a novice would’ve messed up the recipe.
Hi Kelley, sorry for the confusion, I appreciate the feedback and will be working towards adding this on older recipes! You will want the sauce at a simmer which will be at a medium-low setting on most stoves. I hope this helps!