This Green Bean Casserole recipe is a classic holiday side dish. Tender green beans are tossed in a delicious creamy sauce with cheese and crispy onions. Bake this casserole with more crispy onions until bubbly.
This is the perfect side dish to serve along with your roast turkey for the perfect meal!
A Holiday Casserole
I love green bean casserole. This is a version of the Cambells green bean casserole that most of us grew up on. It reminds me of childhood and I love it, although I do love a from scratch green bean casserole too! This recipe takes almost no prep making it the easiest side dish ever!
GREEN BEANS For this recipe, you can use fresh, frozen or canned. Canned will provide a softer casserole while fresh or frozen add have a bit more texture (and need more salt added to the recipe). If using fresh or frozen, cook your beans until tender-crisp, about 5 minutes for frozen and 8 minutes for fresh. You can skip the boiling for frozen green beans but I prefer the texture if they’ve cooked a bit first.
MUSHROOM SOUP The addition of the mushroom soup is what makes this recipe so easy (and is the base of the delicious sauce). If you can’t have mushrooms, any “cream of” soup will work just fine in this recipe or you can use homemade condensed mushroom soup or chicken soup!
CRISPY ONIONS Crispy Fried Onions are essential to this recipe (so much that it’s even sometimes known as French’s Green Bean Casserole)! If you’ve never had them, these onions are delish and great on all kinds of casseroles, burgers, and more! They’re added both in and on this casserole!
CHEDDAR CHEESE This is optional but honestly, like most things, this is better with cheese. I highly recommend adding it!
How To Make Green Bean Casserole
There’s a reason this dish has been around for years, it’s simple. It’s delicious. Perfect in every way.
- Cook beans if they’re fresh or frozen. (drain them if they’re canned)
- Mix sauce Combine mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, and pepper (per recipe below).
- Toss together with green beans, some crispy onions, and cheese.
- Top & Bake Top with more crispy onions and bake until golden and bubbly!
To Prepare Ahead of Time
This dish can be made up to 48 hours ahead of time. Prepare as directed except leave the crispy onion topping in a separate container so they don’t get soggy. I usually place them in a sealed sandwich bag right in the dish and sprinkle before baking.
Remove the dish from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes before baking. If it’s really chilled, you may need to add up to 10 minutes extra cook time.
If you’re heading to someone else’s house for dinner, do everything except the last 10 minutes of baking and bring it along with you covered in tin foil! Top with crispy onions and bake until hot and bubbly!
How Long To Cook Green Bean Casserole
Green bean casserole only takes about 40 minutes and only 5 of that is prep! You can make green bean casserole up to a day in advance and keep it in the fridge until you bake it, saving you precious time during the rest of dinner prep. Keep in mind if your green bean casserole has been in the fridge, you will likely need to add some extra time!
While I do sometimes take the time to make a Fresh Green Bean Casserole from scratch, I have to admit, this recipe takes me back to childhood. I love the flavors and the simplicity!
More Turkey Dinner Sides
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Classic casserole recipe!
- Easy Stuffing Recipe
- Corn Casserole – Easy favorite!
- Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon
- Glazed Carrots
- The Best Mashed Potatoes – Turkey Day Staple!
Green Bean Casserole
- 10 ½ ounces cream of mushroom soup
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 cups frozen cut green bean defrosted
- ¼ teaspoon seasoning salt or to taste
- 1 ½ cups crispy fried onions
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- If using fresh or frozen green beans, boil just until tender crisp.
- Combine soup, milk, soy sauce, pepper, green beans, 1 cup onions and cheese (if using) in a casserole dish.
- Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or bubbly.
- Remove from oven and stir. Top with remaining onions and return to oven for an additional 10 minutes or until golden.
- drain 2 (14 ½ ounces) cans green beans
- 1 ½ pounds fresh green beans, trimmed and cooked
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)