Old fashioned hamburger gravy is a classic recipe that’s tasty, versatile and so satisfying! Crumbled ground beef in a thick and creamy gravy made from milk and broth.
This is the perfect topping for turning any starch side dish into a mouth-watering entrée.
Ingredients and Variations
There are so many easy changes that can be to this recipe with equally delicious results!
- Meat: I use lean ground beef (of course) but you can sub any kind of ground meat. Turkey/chicken don’t have as much flavor so you might want to add some extra bouillon cubes. Sausage works to turn this into a sausage gravy recipe.
- Broth: Hamburger gravy can be made without milk by substituting broth for the same quantity; the gravy will be brown instead of white. Beef bouillon cubes dissolved in water can substitute for broth. Just be sure to adjust added salt accordingly. Low sodium broth is not as flavorful, I don’t recommend it.
- Diary: I use milk however a little bit of cream or even sour cream can be substituted to add even more richness and body to the sauce.
- Veggies: Make it with mushrooms, and you’ll have a delicious downscale version of beef stroganoff! Or add in some onions for a creamy deconstructed hamburger steak, especially when using broth!
Short on Time? Ground beef is super forgiving and can go straight from the freezer into the frying pan for making hamburger gravy in minutes. To do so, add a little water or beef broth to the pan and cover, turning the block of ground beef often and cutting into smaller pieces as it thaws.
How to Make Hamburger Gravy
Here’s all it takes to prepare this easy homemade dish.
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in a pan, and do not drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients (per recipe below), and cook until the sauce thickens.
What to Serve with Hamburger Gravy
This yummy, chunky sauce is a quick and easy way to make dinner into a stick-to-your-ribs meal. These are some starch sides perfect for pairing with hamburger gravy.
Biscuits & Bread: garlic cheese biscuits, toast points, or toasted english muffins
Can You Freeze Hamburger Gravy?
Hamburger gravy is great as a leftover. Whether refrigerated or frozen make sure to store in an airtight container or zippered bag and write the date on the top!
- Refrigerated it will last up to four days.
- Frozen: Dairy doesn’t freeze well so I don’t reccomend freezing this with milk added.
Easy Hamburger Recipes
- Ground Beef Stroganoff – packed with flavor!
- Hamburger Casserole – quick & easy weeknight meal
- Easy Hamburger Soup – loaded with veggies!
- Quick Hot Dog Chili – a zesty beanless chili
- Easy Ground Beef Tacos – ready in 30 mins!
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 bouillon cube
- Brown ground beef, onion and garlic until no pink remains. Do not drain.
- You should have some fat in the bottom of the skillet, if not, add 1 tablespoon butter or oil. Stir in Worcestershire.
- Stir in flour and allow to cook 2 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir. Cook over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Serve over biscuits or mashed potatoes.