Try making your own cream of mushroom soup from scratch to add to casseroles and soups!
It’s easier than you might think with just a handful of ingredients, and it’s much healthier than the canned version.
Rich, creamy, and oh-so-satisfying, say goodbye to store-bought soup and hello to homemade goodness!
What is Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup?
This is different from our Cream of Mushroom soup recipe. Condensed soups are soups that have less water and take up less space, making it convenient for storage and for adding flavor to recipes. The most common type of condensed soup is cream of mushroom.
This easy homemade condensed cream of mushroom soup recipe, can replace 2 cans of mushroom soup and can be added to recipes like tuna casserole.
The Benefits of Making Your Own Condensed Soup
- You can control the quality and quantity of the ingredients. Make it low in sodium or fat and avoid additives.
- It’s a great way to sneak veggies into your picky eaters’ diet. Just blend the mushrooms longer; nobody will even know they’re there!
- It’s easy to make and much cheaper than buying canned soup.
- You can replace the mushrooms with celery, chicken, asparagus, or broccoli!
How to Make Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
For the best cream of mushroom soup, you’ll want to choose mushrooms that are firm, clean, and easy to slice. While white button mushrooms are common but add a couple of cremini or portobello mushrooms for a deeper mushroom taste.
You will want to choose mushrooms that are firm, clean, and easy to slice. White button mushrooms are the standard, but even a couple of portobello mushrooms thinly sliced will look and add a deeper mushroom taste!
- Blend all the ingredients except mushrooms.
- Add the mushrooms and blend again.
- Heat the mixture in a saucepan until thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
This homemade cream of mushroom soup recipe can be used in your favorite casseroles, like Cheesy Chicken Casserole. If you’re looking for a gluten-free version, ensure that all of the ingredients you’re using are gluten-free.
This can be stored in the fridge up to 1 week… if it separates, just give it a quick stir before you use it!
Recipes to Try
- Turkey Tetrazzini – hearty satisfying dish.
- Broccoli Rice Casserole with Turkey – cheesy comforting casserole.
- 4 Ingredient Chicken Rice Casserole – quick and easy meal option.
Homemade Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 12 oz canned evaporated milk (you can use regular milk in a pinch, it just won’t be quite as creamy)
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup mushrooms
- In a blender, combine evaporated milk, chicken broth, onion powder, cornstarch, olive oil, and black pepper.
- Pulse two to three times to combine.
- Add in the mushrooms to the blender and pulse a few more times until the mushrooms reach the desired size.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the mushroom mixture over medium-high until thickened, about 5 minutes. Let boil for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and cool.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!