Roasted Smashed Potatoes are one of the easiest and tastiest side dishes. Baby potatoes are boiled just until tender, gently smashed flat and baked until crisp and golden.
What are Smashed Potatoes?
Smashed potatoes are not to be confused with mashed potatoes. They are whole boiled potatoes which are flattened with the heel of your hand (or a glass), drizzled with olive oi, seasoned and baked. The edges become perfectly crisp in the oven, while the center stays fluffy and tender. The result is simply scrumptious!
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
Roasted smashed potatoes in oven are so simple to prepare. For best results, use new or baby potatoes, either white or red-skinned.
- Boil the whole, unpeeled potatoes just until soft. Drain and cool.
- With the heel of your hand or a sturdy glass, smash each potato just enough to break the skin.
- Generously brush/drizzle with olive oil and bake until the skins and edges are crispy.
The second half of this recipe is cooked at a very high temperature so it’s important to ensure your seasonings/spices don’t burn. I use mainly salt & pepper with olive oil and a bit of dried rosemary.
Garlic burns at a high temperature so if using garlic, I would suggest brushing with garlic butter for a few minutes at the end or using garlic powder in place of fresh garlic.
What to Serve with Smashed Potatoes
This is a side dish that tastes fabulous with roasted or barbecued meat and needs no gravy. In fact, it’s better without! Serve crispy smashed potatoes with meatloaf, grilled pork chops, BBQ ribs, slow cooker pulled pork, or crispy baked chicken legs.
You can enhance the flavor even more with an array of tasty toppings.
- Bold: bacon bits, sharp cheddar, parmesan cheese, green onion, garlic butter
- Creamy: sour cream, melted butter
- Herbs: chopped chives or parsley, roasted pine nuts
How to Freeze Smashed Potatoes
You can make smashed potatoes in advance by freezing. Just place them in freezer containers after smashing and oiling. Then thaw before popping in the oven. Once baked, top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
More Potato Goodness
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes – best comfort food
- Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes – just 5 ingredients!
- Twice Baked Potatoes – one of my family’s favorites
- The BEST Mashed Potatoes – perfectly creamy every time!
- Duchess Potatoes – fancy but simple to prepare
Oven Roasted Rosemary Smashed Potatoes
- 2 lbs baby potatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- sour cream
- bacon bits
- Preheat oven to 450˚F. Line a large baking pan with foil.
- Wash potatoes and boil on high for 12-15 minutes or just until slightly tender. Drain and cool slightly.
- Smash to 1/2" thickness using the heel of your hand or a glass. (You can store smashed potatoes covered in the fridge for up to 2 days... and continue with the recipe prior to serving).
- Line a pan with foil. Very generously brush each potato with olive oil. Slightly crush the rosemary. Sprinkle with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Roast potatoes in the oven 30-40 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes or until browned and crispy.
- Serve with toppings as desired.