Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup is a delicious and flavorful soup recipe perfect for lunch or light delicious dinner! This creamy soup is loaded with fresh mushrooms for a rich flavor you won’t be able to resist!
Mushrooms are one of my all time favorite vegetables. They have a delicious earthy flavor and are perfect in a creamy soup. Serve with freshly baked 30 Minute Dinner Rolls and homemade garlic butter for sopping up any goodness in the bottom of the bowl!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
This recipe needs only a few basic ingredients, cream, broth, mushrooms and a splash of white wine to deepen the flavors. A pinch of thyme and a bay leaf are the perfect flavors to complement this delicious soup!
You can use any kind of mushrooms you’d like (I use cremini)! There are so many good options out there, but don’t worry they will all result in a wonderful soup. If you are looking to save time, buy sliced mushrooms.
Mushrooms for Mushroom Soup
- Cremini Mushrooms are my favorite for the flavor they add. They will also add a bit of color to an otherwise white and creamy soup. It keeps the flavor the same but gives you a slightly deeper color in your finished product.
- White button mushrooms are the most common mushroom used, but you can use any kind you wish!
- Baby bellas are basically brown button mushrooms and have a darker color and a bit of a richer flavor.
Since there are so few ingredients in this soup though, don’t skimp on the quality! We recommend using real heavy whipping cream (or evaporated milk if you don’t have cream), real butter instead of margarine…well, you get the idea!
How to Make Cream of Mushroom Soup
Mushrooms are a great base to any recipe because they have such an earthy flavor (I even make my own homemade condensed mushroom soup for use in casseroles).
This creamy soup recipe comes together quite easily!
- Cook the onions and mushrooms in butter until soft and the juices are released!
- Add white wine and allow it to cook down. Sprinkle with flour, add broth and simmer.
- Chop or puree the soup to desired consistency. Add cream and simmer until thickened.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a thick crusty bread or parmesan garlic croutons and a crisp, side salad! Was that your stomach growling or mine? I love this soup!
If you have leftover mushroom soup, you can gently reheat it on the stove top (or in the microwave). It’s great stirred into casseroles or even over rice for an easy meal!
Can You Freeze Cream of Mushroom Soup? I don’t generally recommend freezing cream based soups as they can become grainy. If you would like to freeze this soup, I would suggest freezing it before adding the cream.
More Great Creamy Soups!
- Cream of Cauliflower Soup – simple 30 minute soup.
- Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup – ultimate in comfort food!
- Ham and Corn Chowder – great use of leftover ham.
- Creamy Carrot Soup Recipe – simple, delicious and healthy.
- Broccoli Cheese Soup – ready in 20 minutes!
Cream of Mushroom Soups
- 1 small onion finely diced
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ¾ pound mushrooms brown or white, sliced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ cup white wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Cook onion & thyme in butter 3 minutes or until slightly soft. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until juices are released, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Cook mushrooms 2 minutes while stirring. Add white wine and allow to cook down until almost evaporated (about 4-5 minutes).
- Sprinkle flour over mushrooms and stir. Add chicken broth a little at a time until smooth. Add bay leaf and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes uncovered.
- Discard bay leaf. Remove about ½ cup of mushrooms and finely chop (or blend with a little bit of liquid if preferred). Return to the soup with heavy cream.
- Simmer 3 minutes more and serve.