Ham is the choice for holiday meals for all of my kids. While I love the traditional turkey dinner, there is power in numbers and my kids love ham. I’m one of those people who can’t just cook a little, I always make a huge feast including a ham big enough to feed an additional 47 people along with our family of 6. The great thing is that we usually have leftovers so I can make things like Cheesy Ham and Potato Casserole, Easy Ham and Potato Soup and this amazing Ham & Corn Chowder!
Soup is a wonderfully comforting and versatile meal whether it’s a slow cooker soup or a quick 20 Minute stove top version! This recipe features loads of fresh corn and ham in a rich creamy broth to warm your belly from the inside out!
I like to top this with crumbled bacon and green onions but of course adding cheese is another amazing way to enjoy this recipe! You can sprinkle a little on top when serving or stir in 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar after you have removed the soup from the heat.
HAM & CORN CHOWDER
- 3 slices raw bacon diced
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1 1/2 cups peeled diced potato
- 1/2 red pepper diced
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups corn fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups diced ham
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Add bacon and onion to a pot over medium high heat. Cook until onion is translucent. Add potato, red pepper, thyme, pepper and chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer 8 minutes.
- Add corn and ham. Simmer an additional 7 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Stir together milk and flour. Add into ham mixture and bring to a boil while stirring. Let boil 2 minutes.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and green onions if desired
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)