Shrimp Curry is a delicious restaurant dish that you can easily make at home. Tender juicy shrimp is simmered in a rich coconut curry sauce.
This dish is the perfect balance of flavors and is great served over rice!
Ingredients in Curry Shrimp
While this recipe is easy to make it does have quite a few ingredients (more than I usually add to a recipe). In this case, it’s 100% worth the extra time, the flavor is amazing. I prep everything before I begin as this curry recipe comes together quickly.
- Shrimp I most often use a large (or extra) shrimp (31/35per lb). Adjust the cook time slightly if your shrimp are larger or smaller.
- Spices A healthy dose of garlic and ginger add lots of flavor. Curry is a spice mixture and the flavors will vary slightly from brand to brand (and region to region). Use whichever you like best (or have on hand).
- Sauce This sauce is super easy to make. It includes coconut milk for creaminess. I prefer full fat but reduced fat versions do work in this recipe too.
- Veggies Bell peppers and tomatoes are added to this sauce.
How to Make Curry Shrimp
Much like a Chicken Curry, once you start this recipe comes together fast!
- Saute the onion in oil until tender. Add bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and spices. Cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and lime juice.
- Stir in the shrimp and simmer a few minutes until shrimp is cooked.
What to Serve with Curry Shrimp
Mushrooms, or a variety of colorful peppers or even stir fried veggies are great with this shrimp curry! Add in a side of naan or pita for sopping up any sauce!
Leftover shrimp curry can be placed it in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
When you are ready to reheat, simply use the microwave or the stovetop. Refresh the flavors with a little fresh cilantro! Perfect for lunch at work or school!
- Shrimp Stir Fry – quick & healthy meal!
- Shrimp and Grits – easy, cheesy & delicious
- Garlic Shrimp Pasta – light yet hearty meal!
- Shrimp Tacos – easy Southwest favorite
- Easy Shrimp Scampi – ready in 10 mins!
Coconut Shrimp Curry
- 1 ½ pounds shrimp peeled and deveined
- salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fresh ginger grated
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 ½ teaspoons curry powder
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 14 ounces canned diced tomatoes drained
- 14 ounces coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- lime and cilantro for garnish
- Cook onion in olive oil in over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell pepper, garlic, ginger and spices, cook an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coconut milk, and lime juice and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and simmer 8-10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Optional: To thicken sauce, combine 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 1 tablespoon water. Add to sauce a bit at a time to reach desired consistency. Cook 1 minute.
- Stir in the shrimp and cook an additional 5 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through. Taste and with salt before serving.
- Serve over rice with lime and cilantro.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.