Shrimp and Grits go together like… well… shrimp and grits! Cheesy grits are topped with bacon, peppers, and juicy shrimp to create a favorite I can’t resist.
Much like my love for collard greens and a creamy mac and cheese recipe, this classic southern combo couldn’t be more comforting.
Shrimp and Grits are SO Easy!
Along with Bang Bang Shrimp and Shrimp Linguine, this easy recipe is one of my favorites.
There’s something magical about the combo of buttery grits topped with juicy shrimp. This whole dish is really quick to make, while the grits are simmering I prep and fry the shrimp and it’s all ready to serve in no time at all!
What are Grits?
Grits are similar in texture to cream of wheat, but they are made from corn. They are super versatile, meaning you can add basically any mixin’s or spices to them that you’d like (sweet or savory)!
I use regular grits in this recipe but you can use quick cooking (a finer grind) or stone ground (a coarser grind that takes longer to cook.
How To Make Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and grits is a simple dish to execute and the flavor is off the charts. Grits don’t get strained (similar to cream of wheat), and depending on the grits you use, the cooking time will differ slightly (check your package to be sure)!
- Put grits on the stove top with broth.
- While the grits cook, fry bacon. Set aside.
- Fry shrimp and peppers in bacon grease with seasoning.
- Stir some sharp shredded cheddar cheese and butter into the grits
Voila!! Top the cheesy grits with shrimp/pepper/bacon deliciousness. Grits change in texture when they cool down, so make sure you enjoy it while it is hot!
TIP: If I am serving my family, I remove the tails for easy eating. For guests, I often leave the tails on for a pretty presentation, the choice is yours.
What To Serve With Shrimp and Grits
Shrimp and grits are pretty rich and filling, so if you’re pairing the meal with something keep it on the lighter side.
I love serving this easy shrimp and grits recipe alongside a simple tossed salad or even just with some dinner rolls to sop up the leftover butter from the shrimp. It is definitely a complete and filling meal on its own!
More Easy Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Shrimp Scampi Recipe – So quick!
- Sheet Pan Shrimp Boil
- Easy Shrimp Ceviche Recipe – Fresh and delicious!
- Skillet Shrimp Fajitas
- Lemon Garlic Shrimp Fettuccine – Comfort food perfection!!
Shrimp and Grits
- 4 slices bacon chopped
- ⅓ cup onion diced
- ⅓ cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice fresh
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ cups cheddar cheese shredded
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup grits
- Bring water, chicken broth and garlic powder to a boil in a medium pot. Add grits and cook for 18-20 minutes or thick and creamy (or follow times listed on your grits package). Remove from heat and stir in cheese and butter until melted.
- Meanwhile, chop bacon. Fry in a medium sized pan until crispy. Remove from pan leaving drippings in the pan (should be about 1 tablespoon).
- Saute onions in the bacon grease 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened. Add bell peppers and cook until tender, about 3 minutes more. Remove the peppers and onions from the pan and set aside.
- Toss the shrimp with garlic powder and Old Bay seasoning. Cook in the pan 2-3 minutes on each side. Add onion mixture back in along with lemon juice and parsley.
- Serve shrimp mixture overtop of grits. Garnish with crumbled bacon, parsley, and lemon wedges.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
My husband Loved it! My thoughts are it was good more of a spicey girl. Easy recipe did not have Green bell pepper used red, yellow and orange peppers. Made it before used all ingredients and was perfect. Will continue to make!
This is the best!! Rich , savory and cheesy goodness!! Thank you!
I’m in U.K. and love your recipes. Please can you tell me what grits are so that I can substitute.
Hi Veronica, grits is a cornmeal porridge. I hope that helps!
Really good!! Used instant grits and they were done in about 10 minutes. This was so decadent and rich in flavor! We loved it. The bacon is a great touch! I used a yellow bell pepper since we were out of green and had pepper jack cheese with jalapenos that we grated since I was out of plain cheddar. This one is a keeper!
First time I had shrimp and grits, this was easy recipe. My husband loved it, thank you for sharing.
Terrific and easy. My husband was so thrilled that he keeps reminding me to make it again.
This is a great dish! A little rich, but that’s okay!
This is surprisingly easy to make and so delicious!
This is easy & delicious ..I will save & make again !
Girl! Your Shrimp and Grits I Must Try L.O.L
Definitely a must try Verna. Enjoy!
This is an amazing recipe! I am making it again this weekend!
I am so glad you enjoyed the recipe Cathy! Happy cooking!
I made this dish for breakfast this morning along with a slices of garlic toast and my family loved it. Great flavors and excellent texture. I rate it 5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
So happy you all loved it Vonda! Such a delicious breakfast.