Try this creamy, chicken cordon bleu soup when you want something cheesy and oh-so-easy! Chicken cordon bleu soup is fancy enough for a potluck but simple enough to cook from scratch in the slow cooker. Just set it and forget it!
What Is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Cordon bleu is typically a dish made from meat that is wrapped around cheese and baked, deep-fried, or even grilled. Also called a ‘schnitzel (meat thinly sliced and fried), chicken cordon bleu is a favorite at nicer restaurants everywhere.
This version, a hearty soup, can be made in two different ways depending on your time and preferences.
How To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
Make this rich & creamy soup on the stovetop or in the slow cooker!
- Add all ingredients to a large pot and cook until the potatoes are soft.
- Remove two-thirds of the potato and carrot mixture (avoiding the other ingredients) and mash.
- Return the mash mixture to the pot and add cream. Stir well and cook another 5 minutes.
Stir in shredded mozzarella until fully melted and serve hot with a slice of cheese toast.
To cook in a slow cooker, follow the stove to directions but cook on low 7 hours or on high 3 hours.
What To Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
This hearty soup is perfect on its own but is great paired with a salad or side of bread for dipping!
- Salad: Nothing goes better with a classic soup than this classic wedge salad or a crunchy cucumber tomato salad!
- Bread: Try serving with dinner rolls or homemade garlic bread. They are always a crowd-pleaser and a perfect garlicky complement to chicken cordon bleu soup.
Can You Freeze Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup?
Chicken cordon bleu soup freezes beautifully! Just make sure it is fully cooled before freezing. Ladle soup in zippered bags or place in airtight containers for individual portions and freeze up to two months. Be sure to label the containers with the date.
To reheat, pour thawed soup into a pot and heat on medium heat on the stove or reheat in the microwave.
Creamy & Hearty Soups
- Creamy Potato Soup – topped with bacon
- Creamy Sausage & Cabbage Soup – ultimate comfort food
- Philly Cheesesteak Soup – creamy & cheesy!
- Creamy Asparagus – with a velvety cream sauce
- Creamy Carrot Soup – 30 minute meal!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup
- 7 cups potatoes diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 cups ham diced
- 2 cups chicken cooked & diced
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- ½ teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- pepper to taste
- Add diced potatoes, onion, carrot, chicken, ham, thyme, parsley, pepper, dijon & broth to a large pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer 20 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the potatoes/carrots and mash (try to avoid the ham/chicken if possible), then return the mashed mixture to the pot.
- Add cream, stir and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in shredded cheese until melted. Serve hot.
Slow Cooker Directions
- Add diced potatoes, onion, carrot, chicken, ham, thyme, parsley, pepper, dijon & broth to a crock pot.
- Cook on low 7 hours, or high 3 hours.
- Remove 2-3 cups of the potatoes/carrots (try to avoid ham/chicken) and mash, then return the mashed mixture to the crock pot.
- Add cream, stir and cook an additional 15 minutes. Stir in cheese and pepper to taste. Makes twelve 1-cup servings.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)