Creamy Asparagus is a quick stovetop recipe and the perfect side dish to serve with any of your favorite entrees.
Chopped asparagus in a velvety cream sauce, flavored with parmesan cheese and a pop of red pepper is a recipe for pure comfort.
This delicious side dish is easy to make and has a flavor similar to an alfredo pasta.
How to Prepare Asparagus
The distinct flavor and silky texture of fresh asparagus are unlocked with proper prepping. Stalks can be quite tough and woody, almost inedible toward the cut end.
- Hold each stalk in the middle and at the bottom. Gently bend the stalk and the woody bottom will naturally snap off. Discard the bottom.
- Cut the remaining stalk into 1.5″ pieces.
How to Make Creamy Asparagus
The rest of the process is as easy as 1, 2, 3, and made right on the stovetop! Just like a chicken alfredo, this dish is rich and delicious!
- Cook the asparagus with garlic.
- Add cream and simmer until asparagus is tender crisp.
- Remove from heat and stir in the parmesan and remaining ingredients.
Other Ways to Serve Asparagus
Alternatively, you can turn it into creamy asparagus with chicken using leftover chicken (and even pasta) but you might like to double up on the sauce. A tasty way to stretch and transform those leftovers from the night before!
Creamy asparagus can be stored tightly covered in the fridge for up to four days. This recipe is not a good candidate for the freezer. Reheat in the microwave or in a pan on the stove top.
More Ways to Prepare Asparagus
- Easy Oven Roasted Asparagus
- Pickled Asparagus
- Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
- Oven Baked Asparagus Fries
- 1 pounds asparagus trimmed and cut into 1.5" pieces
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ tablespoons parmesan cheese grated
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook asparagus in olive oil over medium-high heat in a 10" skillet for 4 minutes (6 minutes if your asparagus is very thick).
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant. Stir in heavy cream and simmer on medium-low until asparagus is tender-crisp.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese and red chili flakes. Taste and season with salt* and pepper.
- Serve warm.