Chicken Cordon Bleu is easy classic; tender chicken breasts are stuffed with smoky ham and swiss cheese. This version is baked in the oven until tender and juicy.
Don’t let the name fool you, like most baked chicken recipes, it is actually easy to prepare! Served with a simple dijon cream sauce, everyone raves about this recipe.
What is Chicken Cordon Bleu?
“Cordon Bleu” translates to blue ribbon and I can assure you this easy recipe is worthy of the title! A traditional cordon bleu has tender chicken wrapped around ham and swiss cheese but you can mix and match the parts to this recipe and be creative!
- HAM: Substitute ham for prosciutto in this recipe
- CHEESE: Swap out the Swiss for provolone or even cheddar cheese! Cheese slices provide a thicker cheese layer, shredded cheeses can melt into the chicken.
- BREADCRUMBS: This recipe uses seasoned breadcrumbs. You can substitute Panko or make your own seasoned crumbs by adding 1/4 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, and salt. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon parsley and a pinch of oregano.
The Perfect Sauce
We make a simple homemade dijon sauce to serve with this recipe.
Easy Stuffed Chicken
Still nervous? Don’t be! We mean it when we say this chicken cordon bleu recipe isn’t difficult to make! To make this recipe, you’ll want to start by preparing the chicken.
To Prepare Chicken for Stuffing:
- Place the chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap (this keeps it from splattering juices everywhere).
- Pound the chicken with the flat side of a meat mallet or tenderizer until it is 1/4″ thick. If the chicken breast is really thick you can butterfly it open before pounding.
- Be firm but gentle when pounding so the chicken thins out but doesn’t get damaged or fall apart.
How to Make Chicken Cordon Bleu
This easy chicken cordon bleu does take a few steps but none of them are hard! Here’s a good tip: soak the toothpicks in water before securing the chicken so they don’t burn in the oven and will slide easily out of the finished chicken roll. I always put 2 toothpicks per roll so I can account for all of them when I am serving.
- Prep your chicken (above) and layer with ham and swiss cheese.
- Roll in your melted butter with garlic, then seasoned breadcrumbs and bake!
- While that’s baking prep your sauce and pour over your final dish!
Voila! A fancy restaurant meal that really is easy to make at home (but don’t worry your secret is safe with us)!
What to Serve With Chicken Cordon Bleu?
Cordon bleu is a rich meal with bold flavors so a light and fresh side makes the perfect complement. I would suggest a steamed or roasted vegetable like broccoli or roasted asparagus. Add in a tossed or Caesar Salad and a side of garlic butter rice for the perfect meal!
This baked chicken cordon bleu recipe can feed as few as four or double the recipe and have a fancy dinner party for 8! Leftovers can be made into a delicious sandwich can be made on a crusty baguette with some spicy mustard and a few leaves of crispy lettuce! Hearty and flavorful!
More Stuffed Chicken Recipes We Love
- Spinach Stuffed Chicken Breast – Delicious bacon wrapped stuffed chicken breasts!
- Jalapeño Popper Stuffed Chicken Breasts – A delicious take on our favorite appetizer recipe (Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers)
- Pepperoni & Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breasts – A pizza lovers’ dream!
- Bacon Wrapped Chicken – Cheese stuffed, bacon wrapped… need we say more?
- Mushroom Stuffed Chicken Breast – Stuffed with a delicious mushroom cream filling.
Did you enjoy this Chicken Cordon Bleu? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
Chicken Cordon Bleu
- 4 chicken breasts boneless/skinless
- salt & pepper to taste
- 4 slices ham
- 4 ounces Swiss cheese or Gruyere cheese
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cube chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pound chicken to ¼” thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Top each chicken breast with 1 slice of ham and about 1 oz cheese. Roll the chicken jelly roll style. Secure with a toothpick.
- Combine butter and garlic in a small dish. Mix breadcrumbs and thyme in a separate bowl. Dip each chicken roll in butter and then into the breadcrumb mixture.
- Place in a baking dish and bake 35-40 minutes or until chicken reaches 165°F.
- Melt butter in a small sauce pan. Add flour and cook 1 minute.
- Add in milk and wine a little bit at a time stirring after each addition until the mixture is smooth. Add in Dijon, bouillon and Worcestershire. Bring to a boil while whisking and reduce heat. Simmer 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve over chicken.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)