This Arugula Salad is colorful and delicious! Arugula is tossed with a quick dressing and served with beets, oranges, pecans, and feta cheese.
A Flavorful Side or Main Dish
- This recipe only needs a handful of ingredients, plus roasted beets!
- The Honey Dijon vinaigrette is flavorful & fresh and only takes a few minutes to make.
- Ingredients can be prepared days ahead of time and quickly tossed at dinner time.
- Easy enough for a weekday lunch, but fancy enough to serve at a dinner party!
- The flavors pair well with grilled chicken, shrimp, or salmon.
ARUGULA (also known as rocket) is a peppery tasting super green (it’s loaded with antioxidants). Any fresh greens from your fridge would be a tasty addition, I often add a handful of spinach if I have it.
BEETS Beets are always in season and affordable. If you don’t want to cook beets, buy packaged or canned (but make sure they’re not pickled).
OTHER ADDITIONS Oranges bring a tangy sweetness and feta adds a little salty, but creamy tone and texture.
NO BEETS!? NO PROBLEM! If you don’t have beets, add another roasted veggie in their place. Sweet potatoes or winter squash are great options.
We love pairing a roasted root vegetable with the peppery bite of arugula.
Choose contrasting ingredients that still complement the basic recipe and dressing.
- We like adding a combination of sliced granny smith apples with crumbled goat cheese or feta. Or go for diced avocado with bleu cheese crumbles.
- Thinly sliced rings from a bulb of fennel pairs perfectly with mandarin orange segments.
- We also like an optional topping of sunflower seeds, pepitas, or toasted walnuts or pistachios.
How to Make Beet & Arugula Salad
- Bake the beets according to the recipe below. Once cooked, rub the skins off and cut beets into pieces. Cool completely.
- Segment the oranges (if you’ve never segmented oranges, find details here).
- Combine arugula and onions in a large salad bowl & toss with dressing. Garnish with remaining ingredients & serve immediately.
TIME SAVING TIP
Beets take a while to roast and cool.
To save time, purchase pre-cooked beets which are usually found in the produce area near the beets or near the fresh salad mixes. Beets can also be prepared a few days in advance and refrigerated.
What Goes with This Arugula Salad?
Fresh & Fruity Salads
- Blackened Salmon Salad – light & healthy
- Pistachio Strawberry Salad
- Orange & Fennel Salad – with zesty orange dressing
- Easy Watermelon Salad (with feta)
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – so fresh & flavorful
- Winter Salad – with Maple Dijon Vinaigrette
- Waldorf Salad
Did you love this Arugula Salad? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 pound beets (or 4 small cooked beets)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups arugula or mixed greens
- 2 oranges sectioned
- 1 cup toasted pecans or candied pecans
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled, or goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
Cook & Cool Beets
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash beets and trim the ends (if they are large), cut beets in half. Rub beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Place beets in a baking dish and seal with foil. Bake until tender, about 1 hour. Cool beets 5-10 minutes and then rub the skins off with a paper towel.
- Section the oranges by cutting the skin off. Use a small paring knife to cut each piece of orange away from the white pith.
- Whisk dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Combine cooled beets, oranges, onions, and arugula in a large bowl. Toss with dressing and garnish with remaining ingredients
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)