This tangy orange and fennel salad is bright and fresh with a quick zesty orange dressing!
A Fresh Side
Fennel can be eaten cooked or raw in slaws or salads like in this recipe.
FENNEL Fresh fennel should but cut into thin slices for this recipe.
GREENS Any greens you’d like work well, I prefer a greens mix with tender leaves for this recipe.
CITRUS Sectioned orange slices add fresh zesty flavor (grapefruit is another great addition). While it takes a little bit of time, sectioning oranges makes for a great salad and it can be done days ahead of time.
DRESSING Orange juice, rice wine vinegar, honey, garlic, and oil are used to make this citrusy, zesty dressing!
- Switch out orange segments for canned mandarin orange segments and add the juice to the dressing or use small pieces of fresh grapefruit and the grapefruit zest in the dressing.
- Sliced black olives make for a dramatic and colorful garnish!
- Freshly roasted and cooled beets make a colorful addition.
- Granny smith apples and cucumber or radishes, fennel salad takes on a whole new look!
- Try the citrus-like salad dressing as a marinade or add some soy sauce to it and use it as an Asian-style stir fry marinade!
How to Cut Fennel for Salad
If you’ve never cut fennel before, it’s easy.
- Cut bulb from the green stalks (which can be eaten raw or added to stir frys or soup recipes).
- Cut bulb in halves so it lies flat & slice thinly vertically (a mandoline works well if you have one).
How to Make Fennel Salad
Fennel salad looks gourmet, but it’s actually super easy to make!
- Add sliced fennel to the celery & mixed greens. Toss.
- Prepare dressing (per recipe below) in a jar with a tight-fitting lid and shake.
- Drizzle over salad & garnish with nuts & orange segments.
Fresh & Flavorful Salads
- The Best Tossed Salad – loaded with fresh veggies
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – with goat cheese
- Kale Caesar Salad – with homemade dressing
- Greek Salad – so colorful
- Classic Wedge Salad – a crowd favorite
Did your family love this Fennel Salad? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 1 large bulb fennel
- 1 stalk celery
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 1 orange divided
- ¼ cup candied pecans , or walnuts, chopped
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until combined. Set aside.
- Cut the rind off of the orange and cut into segments. Thinly slice celery on the diagonal.
- Cut off the top stems of the fennel (these can be reserved for stir fries) and remove any discolored outer leaves. If the bulb is really large, cut in half from root to stem.
- Using a mandoline (or a very sharp knife) thinly slice the fennel bulb and place in a bowl, add celery and mixed greens. Drizzle with dressing and toss well.
- Garnish the salad with walnuts and orange pieces.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)