Watermelon Salad is the perfect salad; crisp juicy watermelon, buttery avocado and fresh mint are tossed with a simple dressing and topped with feta cheese.
This makes the perfect potluck dish and is great added on top of a bed of greens.
Watermelon Salad is a fresh and simple side or lunch that everyone raves about!
This salad starts with ripe avocado diced and drizzled with lime juice. The lime juice helps to flavor the dressing but most importantly it helps keep the avocado from going brown.
Next, I chop a fresh seedless watermelon into bite sized pieces and simply toss it with the dressing and mint (if you don’t have mint, you can make this salad with basil or even cilantro).
Watermelon salad is very simple but also very versatile… cucumbers are an excellent addition as are sliced tomatoes and other types of melon!
How to Pick a Good Watermelon
Sadly one time or another, we’ve all cut into a watermelon that was mealy or just plain ol’ not great.
Here are a few of my favorite tips for choosing the perfect watermelon for all of your summer recipes.
- Weight: Watermelon should be heavy for its size, if not, it could be lacking water/moisture.
- Yellow Spot: There should be a creamy yellow spot where the watermelon ripened on ground. (The creamy yellow color = ripe).
- Shape: The fruit itself should have a nice uniform shape indicating even consistent growing conditions.
- Sound: Watermelon should also have an almost hollow sound when you tap or knock on it.
Watermelon Salad Dressing
This watermelon salad is fresh and flavorful on its own so the dressing is light and super simple. Watermelon is naturally sweet, feta cheese is salty and avocado is buttery… so the dressing has to be light with a touch of acidity so it complements the flavors of the salad.
I very simply dress this watermelon salad with lime and just a touch of cider vinegar and olive oil. Easy peasy and not too heavy, this dressing makes for the perfect salad!
We often serve this easy Watermelon Salad with grilled chicken or at potlucks as a nice fresh side. Most of the time we eat it exactly as written although my husband does love to top this watermelon salad with balsamic (just a drizzle)!
Easy Watermelon Salad
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/2 lime
- 6 cups diced watermelon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh mint chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Dice avocados and place in a large bowl. Squeeze lime juice over avocado and stir.
- Add watermelon, olive oil, cider vinegar, mint, salt & pepper to taste. Toss to combine.
- Top with feta cheese and serve.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)