Roasted Sweet Potatoes
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Roasted Sweet Potatoes are the perfect sweet, yet savory side dish! Super easy to prepare, healthy and full of flavor, this sweet potato recipe is a great choice to serve alongside your favorite Oven Baked Chicken Breasts or with a turkey dinner!
These are great served crisp and hot out of the oven but I often cool them (or use leftovers) to add to my favorite fall salads, pasta salads or to add to quinoa salad!
Roasted Sweet Potatoes
You don’t have to wait for festive occasions to serve sweet potatoes! While they may seem like treat because of their deliciously sweet flavour, they are a nutritional powerhouse!
Much like Easy Oven Roasted Potatoes, there is no need for fancy ingredients or cooking methods when it comes to preparing sweet potatoes. Their glorious color and sweet flavor are quite perfect all on their own!
As much as I love Mashed Sweet Potatoes or a simple Baked Sweet Potato, savory roasted sweet potatoes are my favorite topped with sour cream and green onions. I am all about making sides that are effortless, and still delicious!
How to Make Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Do you have to peel sweet potatoes before roasting them? Technically no, I eat the skins of baked potatoes and they’d be fine in this recipe too. My preference is to peel them because I find they caramelize much better this way.
Making oven roast sweet potatoes is quite simple.
- Peel the sweet potato and cut into cubes. If you want to make roasted sweet potato wedges or roasted sweet potato fries, then simply cut them into the appropriate shapes and place on a baking sheet.
- Toss with olive oil and season.
- Bake in a 375˚F oven until the inside is soft and the outside is golden and crispy!
You can use parchment paper to line the baking sheet for easier clean up, but I find they crisp much better when cooked directly on the baking sheet! If you’re cutting into a shape other than cubes the cooking time may need to be adjusted. You want the sweet potatoes to be caramelized on the outside and fork tender inside.
How Long to Roast Sweet Potatoes in the Oven
If you are preparing roasted sweet potato cubes or roasted sweet potato wedges, they will take about 35-40 minutes in a 400˚F oven. If you are preparing roasted sweet potato fries, the cook time will be about 25-35 minutes in a 400˚F oven (depending on how thick they are cut).
- Sweet Potatoes can be cubed and baked at a lower temperature. Note that times can vary slightly based on the size/shape potatoes are cut.
- Bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes
- Bake at 375°F for 40-50 minutes
When you get in the “what do I serve with dinner” blues, roasted sweet potatoes are simple to prepare with minimal ingredients.
More Potato Recipes You’ll Love
- Potatoes Au Gratin – Favorite!
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Duchess Potatoes
- Baked Potato Soup – Great for leftovers!
- Colcannon Recipe (Cabbage and Potatoes)
- Crock Pot Ham and Potato Soup – Easy comforting soup!
Sweet and savory, these tender roasted sweet potatoes are going to be a family favorite!
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Cut potatoes into 1" cubes and toss with olive oil and seasonings.
Roast on a baking sheet for 35-40 minutes or until tender, stirring after the first 20 minutes.
Serve hot with sour cream or cool and add to salad
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)