Beet greens are so tender and delicious, you’ll wonder why you ever tossed them out in the first place!
Just a little garlic and lemon juice transforms the stems and leaves into a deliciously tender side dish that’s packed with flavor and nutrition!
An Easy Beet Greens Recipe
- The best use for your garden-fresh beet greens. They’re healthy and packed with flavor.
- This recipe uses both the leaves and stems to turn raw beet greens into a deliciously seasoned sauteed side dish.
- An easy and quick dish, ready in under 15 minutes
- Packed full of nutrients from fresh, natural ingredients
- Perfectly balances tangy lemon, aromatic garlic, and earthy beet greens
- A great way to add a touch of elegance to any meal.
Ingredients in Sautéed Beet Greens
Beet Greens – Choose stems and leaves that are fresh and firm. Cut or tear them into equally sized pieces. You’ll want to separate the stems from the leaves as they will cook at different rates.
Seasonings – Real butter and fresh lemon juice are key to bringing out the best flavor of sauteed beet greens and will offset any bitterness.
Flavor: Garlic adds flavor. Swap the olive oil for a bit of bacon grease to add a smoky flavor to the greens if desired. Add a few red pepper flakes for color and a little heat, or save a little lemon zest as a garnish!
How to Saute Beet Greens
This recipe also works with other greens like radish greens or mustard greens.
- Wash beet greens to remove any grit, dirt, or debris.
- Simmer the stems until fork-tender and drain per the recipe below.
- Add the beet leaves, garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the pan. Squeeze lemon juice over the greens and sauté until the leaves are wilted.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter, and season to taste.
Storing Sautéed Beet Greens
Keep leftover sauteed beet greens in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat in the microwave or add to a veggie soup or a hearty chicken stew. Freeze-cooled beet greens in a zippered bag for up to 4 months, however, once thawed, their texture may change but their flavor will be just as delicious!
Did you make these Sauteed Beet Greens? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Sauteed Beet Greens
- 1 bundle beet greens
- 1 cup water
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Wash beet greens and separate stems from leaves. Cut the stems into 1" pieces, and chop the leaves.
- In a nonstick pan, add the stems and 1 cup of water. Cover and simmer for 4-7 minutes or until they're fork-tender. Drain well.
- Add the garlic, olive oil, salt, and pepper to the pan, squeezing the lemon over the greens. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, or until the greens are wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the butter and salt and pepper to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.