This simple Arugula Salad recipe is so fresh and simple yet tastes fancy!
This is a quick side with lots of flavor making it really easy to put together.
What is Arugula Salad?
Arugula is a green sometimes called rocket. It has a feathery appearance with a peppery and slightly bitter taste.
Ingredients and Variations
GREENS: Fresh arugula has a uniquely shaped leaf that adds to its appeal in a salad.
Its strong flavor means it doesn’t need a lot of other ingredients for flavor as iceberg or romaine do. Spinach can be added to an arugula salad for extra color and texture and to soften the flavor slightly.
VEGGIES: Fresh tart tomatoes and chopped red onions add flavor.
Choose other veggies like avocados, sliced fennel, or roasted beets. Arugula salad goes well with berries, pears, or oranges too.
CHEESE: Parmesan petals provide the right salt flavor that works with the dressing, but other salty cheeses like goat cheese and feta pair really well with arugula.
PINE NUTS: Pine nuts can be a bit pricey but just a tiny amount adds a big punch of flavor to recipes. Look for them in the bulk section so you can buy just what is needed.
If you don’t have pine nuts, toasted almonds or pecans can be added.
Dressing for Arugula Salad
Since arugula is a bit bitter, you want a bold and slightly sweet dressing. The dressing below is fresh and tangy but the following homemade or storebought dressings will also work well:
- Spinach Salad Dressing
- Warm Bacon Dressing
- Arugula Salad Dressing
- Honey Mustard Dressing
- Poppy Seed Dressing
- Strawberry Salad Dressing
How to Make Arugula Salad
Simple salads like this one make healthy dinnertime additions a snap!
- Whisk the dressing ingredients (per the recipe below) set aside.
- Toss dressing with arugula & top with remaining ingredients. Serve immediately.
PRO TIP: Make Parmesan petals by shaving pieces off the block of Parmesan with a vegetable peeler!
Favorite Side Salads
- Beet & Arugula Salad– colorful & delicious
- Chicken Caesar Salad – a light lunch or dinner
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – with goat cheese
- Blackened Salmon Salad – so healthy & flavorful
- BLT Salad – with a creamy dressing
What’s your favorite salad? Leave us a comment & a rating below!
Easy Arugula Salad
- 6 cups arugula washed & dried
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 ounce parmesan petals see notes
- ¼ cup red onion finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon toasted pine nuts or toasted almonds
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon sugar or to taste
- Whisk all dressing ingredients except the oil in a medium bowl.
- Slowly drizzle oil into the mixture while whisking. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Place arugula in a large salad bowl and toss with dressing. Add remaining ingredients on top.
- Serve immediately.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)