Zucchini soup is an easy soup that combines all the flavors of late summer!
Got a surplus of garden variety zucchini? We thought so! Instead of giving it away, why not try this easy, creamy recipe for zucchini soup? This recipe can even be served chilled as an appetizer before a special occasion!
A Perfect Summer Soup
You can never run out of things to do with zucchini, but this soup is so easy and yummy—it really is a great way to enjoy the excess bounty at the end of summer!
If pennies are tight, zucchini soup is economical as well as elegant!
VEGETABLES Of course, zucchini is the star here! Whether it is picked fresh from your (or your neighbor’s) garden or fresh from the farmer’s market, choose zucchini that are a deep green, heavy, and firm with no soft spots or broken skin.
Sauteed onion and garlic give the broth its savory flavor.
BROTH Chicken broth can be substituted for vegetable broth but I really do love the flavor the chicken broth adds to this soup. A splash of heavy cream adds a bit of richness.
GARNISH A dollop of sour cream and a garnish of dill make this summer favorite elegant enough for a party. A light sprinkling of croutons for a great topping too!
How to Make Zucchini Soup
No need to peel the zucchini in this recipe! The skin on zucchini is very soft and since it gets cooked into the recipe, a little bit of color only adds to the presentation!
- Saute onion and garlic in butter. Add zucchini and saute.
- Add broth, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender. Stir in cream.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of fresh dill.
What to Serve with Zucchini Soup
This cream of zucchini soup is perfectly paired with other garden-grown treats like tomatoes. Try it with our delicious fresh tomato salad. Add some cheesy garlic breadsticks for dipping and maybe a fresh glass of white sangria for the perfect late summer supper!
- Refrigerate it in a container with a tight-fitting lid for up to 5 days.
- To reheat, gently bring it to the desired temperature on the stovetop, stirring so as not to scald the cream. Adjust salt and pepper and serve.
- Freeze zucchini soup in zippered bags with the date labeled on them. Store flat in the freezer and once they are frozen they can be stored upright (like books) saving freezer space!
Favorite Zucchini Recipes
- Easy Baked Zucchini – great appetizer or side dish
- Easy Zucchini Pancakes – no-guilt snack!
- Crispy Fried Zucchini – ready in less than 30 minutes
- Crispy Zucchini Fries – oven-baked
- Easy Stuffed Zucchini Boats – low carb
Did you love this Zucchini Soup? Be sure to leave a rating and a comment below!
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini about 2 medium
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth not low sodium
- salt & black pepper to taste
- ½ cup heavy cream
- sour cream and fresh dill for garnish
- Dice zucchini into ½ " pieces, do not peel.
- Cook onion and garlic in butter over medium heat until tender. Add zucchini and cook until tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Stir in broth, salt & pepper. Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes or until zucchini is very soft.
- Puree soup using a hand blender. Stir in cream and simmer 1 minute more.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper if needed. Garnish with sour cream and fresh dill.