This tomato salad recipe is a staple at my house and a perfect summer salad.
Fresh tomatoes from the garden pair perfectly with red onions and herbs and is simply dressed to create a dish that is packed with fresh flavor!
A Summer Favorite
This salad (along with cucumber tomato salad) is a summer staple for us. Fresh tomatoes, red onions, and a splash of vinegar make a great summer side or lunch dish! Just toss it all together in a large bowl.
- Simple ingredients make the best fresh salads.
- This dish is healthy and can be served as a side or add in some crusty bread to make it a main dish.
- Add in fresh herbs and bocconcini or other garden vegetables for a tasty fresh tomato salad!
How to Make a Tomato Salad
This healthy tomato salad is really one of the most simple sides. Simply combine garden fresh tomatoes, onions, and a sprinkle of herbs.
Tomatoes – This tomato salad recipe is best during the summer months, peak tomato season, with they’re fresh off the vine. Use any kind of ripe tomatoes.
- Cut large tomatoes or heirloom tomatoes into wedges or bite-sized chunks.
- Cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes can be halved. You don’t need to drain the juices or remove the seeds.
Herbs – Fresh oregano, dill, fresh basil leaves, or mint.
Cheese – Try tomato salad with feta cheese or bocconcini (fresh mozzarella). Bocconcini is a ball of mozzarella cheese with a mild flavor. It is a soft cheese with a creamy texture and can be found in the deli department.
Other Additions – Add any of the following, a bit of minced garlic, avocado, garden vegetables, chopped bell pepper or fresh zucchini.
Tomato Salad Dressing
Simple is best. To make the Tomato Salad Dressing, toss the tomatoes with red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and salt & black pepper. If you prefer, you can use balsamic vinegar.
For the herbs, I use whatever you have that is fresh. Favorites are basil, dill, parsley, and oregano.
I prefer to serve this dish at room temperature.
If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, this salad keeps well in the refrigerator, allowing the flavors to marinate. I love eating it the next day for a healthy lunch.
More Tomato Recipes
Fresh Tomato Salad
- 2 pints grape tomatoes halved, or 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs basil, oregano, dill, parsley
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- ½ cup bocconcini sliced or diced, optional
- Place tomatoes, red onion, and bocconcini (if using) in a shallow bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and red wine vinegar. Toss to combine.
- Season with salt, pepper, and fresh herbs to taste.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.