Zucchini Casserole is a no-fuss dish that is delicious as a vegetarian entrée or a side dish for any meal.
This recipe is very simple, calling for just three main ingredients, zucchini, tomatoes, and a touch of onion. Adding a crunchy Panko breadcrumb topping with parmesan cheese gives for the perfect finishing touch. Zucchini really is the main star of this dish!
A Versatile Casserole Recipe
Easy Baked Zucchini has been a go-to side dish for us forever. It’s effortless and so delicious. I wanted to create a zucchini casserole that was light but flavorful and made the veggies the star of the dish (and not loaded down with bread etc).
The zucchini for this recipe doesn’t need to be peeled (or salted). Simply rinse and slice.
I like using Roma tomatoes in this recipe, they add great flavor but hold up well to baking and aren’t watery. You can use any ripe tomato, try to choose one with a similar diameter to the zucchini you’re using.
I love a crisp topping over this casserole. A combination of panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese is the perfect addition. Fresh herbs are added after baking for lots of flavor.
How to Make Zucchini Casserole
- Cook onion in olive oil until tender. Toss zucchini with olive oil and seasonings.
- Alternate zucchini and tomatoes in a casserole dish (similar to how you would stack a ratatouille). Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Prepare topping & sprinkle over top.
- Bake until veggies are soft & topping is golden brown!
Tips for Casserole
- Zucchini casserole tastes best eaten fresh from the oven. Because zucchini is so watery, it really doesn’t take very well to freezing. You’re likely to find it becomes just too mushy to be appetizing.
- If you want your veggies softer but your topping is browned, loosely place a small square of foil over top to keep it from browning too much.
- Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days and reheated in a microwave.
More Summer Favorites
- Easy Squash Casserole
- Greek Salad
- Easy Fresh Gazpacho
- Easy Layered Ratatouille
- Garden Fresh Bruschetta
Did you enjoy this Zucchini Casserole? Be sure to leave a comment and a rating below!
- 1 pound Roma tomatoes sliced ¼”
- 1 ½ pounds zucchini sliced ½”
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- for serving fresh basil and parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- ¼ cup fresh parmesan cheese
- ⅔ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Cook onion in olive oil (for the topping) until tender, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes and place on paper towels to absorb liquid, about 2-3 minutes.
- Combine zucchini, Italian seasoning, olive oil and garlic in a bowl. Toss well and season with salt and pepper.
- Alternate zucchini and tomatoes in stacks. Place the stacks on their sides in a 2 ½ qt baking dish or 9x13 pan. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients in a small bowl (including onions from in step 1) and mix well.
- Remove foil from casserole and top with topping. Bake uncovered an additional 20 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve warm.