Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole is a sweet and savory side dish made with pumpkin pie spice and topped with crunchy pecans. This fresh and easy twist on a classic sweet potato casserole will wow any crowd!
To Prepare Sweet Potatoes & Apples
This recipe has two stars: sweet potatoes and apples! While this dish is so easy to prepare it does require a little prep work.
The sweet potatoes get a head start in cooking by boiling so they cook at the same rate as the apples.
- Sweet Potatoes: Peel before using them; the outside skin won’t cook well in this recipe (although I do eat it when I make baked sweet potatoes). Cut into uniform pieces so they all cook at the same rate. Be sure not to over boil them since they will continue to cook in the oven. So keep an eye on them!
- Apples: You can use any kind of apple for this recipe, I prefer a Granny smith (the same as I use in apple pie) because it holds its shape well and the tart flavor pairs well with the sweetness of the potatoes. Like the potatoes, be sure to peel the apples and cut into cubes!
To Make Sweet Potato Apple Casserole
Once the prep work is done this casserole is so easy to assemble.
- Boil sweet potatoes until barely softened and drain. Do not overcook.
- Combine sweet potatoes and apples in the casserole dish. Stir in the buttery brown sugar mixture.
- Bake, top with the pecans (walnuts optional). Bake another 5 minutes to toast the pecans.
What to Serve With It
To Make Ahead: Prepare casserole as directed and cover tightly before baking. Refrigerate up to 48 hours. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed.
Reheating the Leftovers
Simply reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave! Give it a thorough stir and refresh with a little extra pumpkin pie spice to brighten the flavors again! It will be good as new!
Sweet Potatoes Recipes To Love
- Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole – Great to save oven space
- Sweet Potato Casserole – Classic recipe
- Baked Sweet Potato – so easy and fluffy!
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – just 3 ingredients!
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – creamy, buttery texture!
- Sweet Potato Salad – loaded with flavor
- Brown Sugar Roasted Sweet Potatoes – sweet & savory
Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole
- 4 sweet potatoes (approx 2 ½ pounds) peeled and cut into 1-inch dice
- 4 small apples (or 3 large), peeled, cored and diced into 1-inch pieces
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ cup pecans chopped
- salt to taste
- Add the potatoes to a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil over high heat and cook until the potatoes are just starting to soften. You don’t want them to cook until soft because they will continue to cook during the baking process.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13" casserole dish with non-stick spray.
- Drain the potatoes and place them into the prepared baking dish.
- Add the apples to the casserole dish.
- In a small bowl mix together the melted butter, brown sugar, maple syrup, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour mixture over the apples and potatoes and stir to combine.
- Add to the oven and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with pecans.
- Add back to the oven and cook for 5 minutes more to toast the pecans.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)