Cobb Salad is a full meal-deal in itself. Fresh lettuce and vegetables tossed with chicken, bacon, cheese and a tangy vinaigrette make this dish an easy favorite!
Like most salad recipes, this is great served with garlic bread!
Cobb Salad Ingredients
So, what is a cobb salad? Named after the owner of the famous Brown Derby restaurant in Hollywood, Robert Howard Cobb claimed this full entrée salad as the restaurant’s signature dish and it has endured ever since.
An easy trick I use to remember what goes into a cobb salad is by using the acronym EAT COBB. Eggs, Avocado, Tomato, Chicken, Onion, Bacon, Blue Cheese!
Chicken cobb salad features a roasted or grilled chicken breast as well, for an additional protein boost. You can serve the chicken either hot or cold. Blue Cheese is one of those items that not everyone likes (I love it) so it can be swapped out for feta or cheddar!
For an extra crunch, top your cobb salad with sunflower seeds, sliced almonds, or even some homemade croutons!
How to Make Cobb Salad
A healthy cobb salad recipe starts with the freshest of ingredients. While it’s not traditional, feel free to add other veggies like corn, sliced cucumbers, or even black olives!
To Make a Cobb Salad:
- Season chicken breasts with salt & pepper (and your favorite chicken seasonings).
- Wash and chop 8 cups of romaine lettuce.
- Peel, chop, and slice the remaining ingredients.
- Top the lettuce with everything and place avocado slices on top. Sprinkle on the blue cheese crumbles.
Drizzle this delicious salad with the dressing of your choice and serve immediately!
What Dressing Goes with Cobb Salad
Traditionally, a cobb salad dressing is a bright and tangy vinaigrette. A basic red wine or balsamic vinaigrette complements the rich flavors of the bacon and blue cheese.
Make your own basic vinaigrette: Whisk together 1/4 cup of cider vinegar with 1/2 cup of oil (or sub in your own favorite vinegar; balsamic, red wine, apple cider, or sherry). Add a bit of dijon or honey (or both) as an emulsifier to keep the dressing from separating.
Stir in whatever seasonings you like to make your own signature dressing to go with your custom salad!
More Favorite Salads
- Chef Salad – ready in 20 minutes!
- Easy Taco Salad – crispy, crunchy and colourful.
- The Best Tossed Salad – easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Easy Panzanella Salad– Tomatoes, bread and cheese.
- Strawberry Spinach Salad – Summertime favorite!
- 8 cups romaine lettuce washed and chopped
- 4 hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- 1 avocado pitted
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 2 cups cooked chicken chopped
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz blue cheese
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar or your favorite vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or to taste
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a small jar with a lid. Shake well to combine and refrigerate.
- Place lettuce in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Top with remaining ingredients.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.