This recipe will show you how to make the best baked sweet potato!
A delicately sweet taste and fluffy interior make these oven baked sweet potatoes the perfect side dish for your next meal!
Best Baked Sweet Potato!
- Perfect to make-ahead and meal prep.
- A nutritious and healthy choice.
- An easy recipe that requires minimal effort.
- Enjoy this baked sweet potato recipe any time of day! Whether it’s a light lunch, dinner paired with a salad, or a healthy post-workout snack, it’s a versatile option.
Sweet Potatoes – Choose full and firm sweet potatoes without any tears or bruises. Note the difference between sweet potatoes (potato-shaped but with tapered ends) versus yams (long and narrow), because many supermarkets often mislabel them.
Seasonings – Leftover bacon grease instead of olive oil will add a smoky flavor to the baked potato skin! Try adding spices like garlic powder, chili powder, paprika, and cumin. Change up the flavor of the baked sweet potatoes by rubbing the outsides with adobo seasoning or a light lemon pepper blend.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
- Poke holes all around a clean and dry sweet potato.
- Rub the outside with oil and seasoning.
- Bake on a large baking sheet until tender, then allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
PRO TIP: No need to wrap sweet potatoes in foil for this recipe, but you could if you are serving them picnic-style! It’s a great way to keep all the fillings inside!
Cooking Temperature and Times
- Bake at 350°F for 60 to 75 minutes
- Bake at 375°F for 50 to 60 minutes
- Bake at 400°F for 40 to 50 minutes
Keep in mind sweet potatoes can vary in size which can change the cooking time slightly. You’ll want to make sure they’re soft when poked with a fork.
Baked Potato Toppings
Once oven-baked sweet potatoes are fully cooked, top them with anything you like!
Storing Baked Sweet Potatoes
- Keep baked sweet potatoes in an airtight container (or wrapped in plastic wrap) in the refrigerator for up to 4 days and reheat them in the microwave. Freeze fully cooled sweet potatoes in zippered bags for up to 4 months.
Use leftover baked sweet potatoes in all kinds of recipes! Scoop out the insides and remake them into twice-baked sweet potatoes!
Did you make these Baked Sweet Potatoes? Leave us a rating and a comment below!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes or as many as desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Poke about 3-4 times on each side.
- Rub the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting open.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.