Baked Sweet Potato is quite possibly the most delicious and nutritious veggie ever! A delicately sweet taste and fluffy interior make these oven baked sweet potatoes the perfect side dish for your next meal!
I have to admit though that, while I love these dishes, I love a simple baked sweet potato topped with a little bit of butter and sour cream even more!
Sweet Potato (or Yam?)
Sweet potatoes are a starchy and sweet tasting root vegetable and similar to a regular potato they can be boiled, fried or baked.
Many people mistake sweet potatoes for yams. While both are root vegetables, there is a difference between sweet potatoes and yams. Sweet potatoes have a general shape and size of a regular potato, but the ends come to a bit of a point. Yams, however, are narrower and more cylindrical in shape. Often sweet potatoes are labelled as yams in supermarkets, leading to more confusion!
The sweet potato is a nutritional powerhouse; they are a good source of fibre, vitamins such as Vitamin B and C, as well as minerals like calcium and potassium. They are also known for their antioxidant, beta-carotene which helps with healthy skin, helps with our immunity and overall good health.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes
Raw Sweet Potatoes: Raw sweet potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark, dry and well ventilated place. Avoid storing them in a refrigerator as this changes the cell structure of the potato making them take longer to cook and affecting the flavor.
Cooked Sweet Potatoes: Once cooked, you can store sweet potatoes just like any other potato. They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or you can freeze them for 3-4 months in an airtight container.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Learning how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven is one of the easiest things to do! You can cook them in foil but don’t have to (I prefer a crisper skin so I don’t bother with foil).
- Poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times (to allow steam to escape).
- Add olive oil and seasonings to the outside.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until tender when the sweet potato is pierced with a fork.
- Allow to rest for a couple minutes before enjoying.
If you use the flesh in another recipe, you can allow it to cool completely and then peel the skin off.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes in Foil: Use the exact method as above wrapping in foil before cooking. The skin will be softer if foil wrapped.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
I prefer to have a higher oven temperature when making baked sweet potatoes so the exterior gets nice and crisp while the potato itself gets soft and tender. If you have other items in the oven, like Oven Fried Chicken or Lemon Roast Chicken, the temperature will be at 375°F which is what I bake sweet potatoes at. If you’re cooking at a different temperature, adjust to the cooking times below.
Baked Sweet Potato Cooking Times
- 350°F 60 to 75 minutes
- 375°F 50 to 60 minutes
- 400°F 40 to 50 minutes
Keep in mind sweet potatoes can vary in size which can change the cook time slightly. You’ll want to make sure they’re soft when poked with a fork.
Sweet potatoes are such a versatile vegetable and can be used in many recipes.
What do you put on a baked sweet potato if you choose to enjoy it by itself? I like to top it just like I would top a regular baked potato. A little butter and sour cream is so delicious!
Other Toppings for Baked Sweet Potatoes:
- Cheeses like cheddar or blue cheese
- Pulled pork, corn and cheddar
- Ground Beef Taco Meat and all the taco fixin’s
- Butter, cinnamon, brown sugar
- Marshmallows, pecans and butter (cut the sweet potato and allow them to melt)
- Buffalo Shredded Chicken – The spice is amazing with sweet potatoes!
Reach for a sweet potato the next time you are looking for an interesting side dish for your next lunch or dinner. You will wonder why it took you so long to discover it’s incredible deliciousness!
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Baked Zucchini – Summertime favorite
- Roasted Root Vegetables – Sweet and flavorful
- Sweet Potato Salad – Best ever bbq side dish!
- Twice Baked Potatoes – Make ahead and freeze
- Roasted Butternut Squash – Leftovers are delicious in salads
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes or as many as desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Poke about 3-4 times on each side.
- Rub the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting open.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)