Baked Sweet Potato is quite possibly the most delicious and nutritious veggie ever! A delicately sweet taste and fluffy interior make these oven baked sweet potatoes the perfect side dish for your next meal!
I have to admit though that, while I love these dishes, I love a simple baked sweet potato topped with a little bit of butter and sour cream even more!
Sweet Potato (or Yam?)
Sweet potatoes are a starchy and sweet-tasting root vegetable and similar to a regular potato they can be boiled, fried or baked.
Many people mistake sweet potatoes for yams. While both are root vegetables, there is a difference between sweet potatoes and yams. Sweet potatoes have a general shape and size of a regular potato, but the ends come to a bit of a point. Yams, however, are narrower and more cylindrical in shape. Often sweet potatoes are labeled as yams in supermarkets, leading to more confusion!
The sweet potato is a nutritional powerhouse; they are a good source of fiber, vitamins such as Vitamin B and C, as well as minerals like calcium and potassium. They are also known for their antioxidant, beta-carotene which helps with healthy skin, helps with our immunity and overall good health.
How to Store Sweet Potatoes
Raw Sweet Potatoes: Raw sweet potatoes should be stored in a cool, dark, dry and well-ventilated place. Avoid storing them in a refrigerator as this changes the cell structure of the potato making them take longer to cook and affecting the flavor.
Cooked Sweet Potatoes: Once cooked, you can store sweet potatoes just like any other potato. They will stay fresh in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, or you can freeze them for 3-4 months in an airtight container.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
Learning how to bake sweet potatoes in the oven is one of the easiest things to do!
- Foil: You can cook them in foil but don’t have to (I prefer a crisper skin so I don’t bother with foil).
- Prep: Season and poke the sweet potato with a fork a few times (to allow steam to escape).
- Bake: for about 1 hour or until tender when the sweet potato is pierced with a fork.
If you use the flesh in another recipe, you can allow it to cool completely and then peel the skin off.
How to Bake Sweet Potatoes in Foil: Use the exact method as above wrapping in foil before cooking. The skin will be softer if foil wrapped.
How Long to Bake Sweet Potatoes
A higher oven temperature when making baked sweet potatoes gives a crisper exterior.
If you have other items in the oven, like Oven Fried Chicken or Lemon Roast Chicken, the temperature will be at 375°F which is what I bake sweet potatoes at. If you’re cooking at a different temperature, adjust to the cooking times below.
Baked Sweet Potato Cooking Times
- 350°F 60 to 75 minutes
- 375°F 50 to 60 minutes
- 400°F 40 to 50 minutes
Keep in mind sweet potatoes can vary in size which can change the cooking time slightly. You’ll want to make sure they’re soft when poked with a fork.
Sweet potatoes are such a versatile vegetable and can be used in many recipes.
What do you put on a baked sweet potato if you choose to enjoy it by itself? I like to top it just like I would top a regular baked potato. A little butter and sour cream is so delicious!
Other Toppings for Baked Sweet Potatoes:
- Butter, cinnamon, brown sugar
- Pulled pork, corn and cheddar
- Ground Beef Taco Meat and all the taco fixin’s
- Marshmallows, pecans and butter (cut the sweet potato and allow them to melt)
- Buffalo Shredded Chicken – The spice is amazing with sweet potatoes!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 sweet potatoes or as many as desired
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Poke about 3-4 times on each side.
- Rub the skin with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake 50-60 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork. Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting open.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
- Easy Baked Zucchini – Summertime favorite
- Roasted Root Vegetables – Sweet and flavorful
- Sweet Potato Salad – Best ever bbq side dish!
- Twice Baked Potatoes – Make ahead and freeze
- Roasted Butternut Squash – Leftovers are delicious in salads