French Toast Casserole is one of our go to dishes during the autumn and winter months! This easy warming casserole combines all the classic flavors of light and fluffy french toast with the ease of a make ahead breakfast casserole!
I am so excited to partner with SheKnows and Walmart and their beautiful bakery selection to create a breakfast casserole that you will not be able to resist!
A french toast bake or casserole is like the holy grail of comfort food, it is so inviting on a Sunday morning! This one has a delicious crumb topping, (which I stole from my fave Easy Blueberry Crisp). It is the perfect extra buttery streusel topping you never knew you needed on a french toast casserole!
As much as I love a good savory Overnight Breakfast Casserole, I also love the sweet custardy flavor and texture of a simple french toast. Combing the two to create an amazing breakfast casserole was bound (and required) to happen in my life.
Like this dish wasn’t easy enough, you can find all of the ingredients you need at your local Walmart including the BEST vanilla brioche in the bakery! Marketside Vanilla Brioche has a buttery texture and flavor and let’s face it, all french toast recipes start with bread. The better the bread, the better the French toast casserole.
The brioche is so moist, buttery, and soft, it really makes all of the difference in this french toast casserole. If I wasn’t making this, I could probably just sit down with a loaf and a stick of butter (don’t judge me).
What Is Brioche?
Brioche is the king of delicious bread. This yeast based bread is usually made in a roll form and is known for its rich texture thanks to the higher content of butter and eggs in the dough.
It is perfect for this recipe because it is naturally so light and airy and absorbs the custard mixture and create the perfect casserole. Marketside Vanilla Brioche has a the most nummy vanilla custard swirl which really makes this recipe next level (they also have a Chocolate Brioche which would work perfectly in this recipe too)!
The Marketside Vanilla Brioche and the other Marketside bakery items are available exclusively at Walmart.
Overnight French Toast Casserole is the perfect breakfast as it can be made the night before and in the morning simply placed in the oven to bake. If you’re looking to bake it right away, be sure to give the bread at least 20 minutes or so to soak up the custard mixture.
How To Make French Toast Casserole
- Cut the brioche into one inch cubes & dry overnight or in the oven.
- Combine eggs, heavy cream, milk, brown sugar, and vanilla.
- Pour the egg mixture over the bread cubes and very gently toss to coat
- Top with crumb mixture and bake until golden.
- Top with fruit, syrup, whipped cream or your own fave toppings!
Can you Freeze French Toast Casserole?
Yes, definitely! This easy recipe can be prepared and frozen either before or after baking. To bake the uncooked casserole from frozen, place in the oven uncovered at 350°F for 55-65 minutes or until the center is cooked through.
As the summer ends and autumn begins. Between french toast casserole and pumpkin pancakes, I know that my breakfasts are going to put some smiles on my families’ faces!
More Breakfast Recipes You’ll Love
- Overnight Breakfast Casserole with Bacon – My personal favorite breakfast!
- Banana Breakfast Cookies
- Pumpkin Pancakes – Comforting and warm!
- Easy Quiche Recipe – Classic and easy, add in your own favorites!
- Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- Corned Beef Hash – Simple and delish!
French Toast Casserole
- 8 cups Marketside Vanilla Brioche Bread cubed and dried as below
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup oats
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut brioche bread into 1 inch pieces. Place in a warm oven for about 8-10 minutes to dry slightly, or cut and let stand uncovered on the counter overnight.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, cream, brown sugar and vanilla in a bowl.
- Pour wet mixture over bread and very gently toss to coat. Place in a 8x8" inch baking dish. Allow it to sit least 1 hour (or overnight).
- Combine topping ingredients and incorporate the butter using a fork or pastry blender until crumbly.
- Cover the bread mixture with the topping and place in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with maple syrup, whipped cream or fruit.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
I am excited to have partnered with SheKnows and Walmart to bring you this beautiful breakfast recipe. While I was compensated for this post, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Working with great brands I love allows me to keep bringing you the great recipes you love!