Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole is everything it sounds like and the perfect set it forget version of a traditional Sweet Potato Casserole! The potatoes do not need to be boiled first, all of the cooking happens right in the slow cooker!
Prepping Sweet Potatoes for Casserole
It’s important to remove the tough skin from the sweet potatoes.
- Rinse sweet potatoes and peel them entirely.
- Cut into uniform cubes so they cook evenly, in this case, 1” cubes.
And, that’s it. Just toss them in the crockpot and get ready for a delicious side dish!
How Long to Cook Sweet Potato Casserole in a CrockPot
Depending on how quickly you want them finished you can either cook them on high or low.
- Low: Cook them overnight or while at work on low for 8 hours.
- High: If you are in a bit of a hurry, cook them on high for about 4 hours.
Either method will yield perfectly cooked, creamy sweet potatoes! Don’t forget to add the pecan topping at the end!
To Mash Sweet Potatoes
You can serve these as smashed (with little chunks) or mashed sweet potatoes (nice and smooth). Use a potato masher for a smashed texture, if you’d like the really smooth, use a hand mixer or an immersion blender.
I use a buttery brown sugar pecan topping. If you’d like to add marshmallows, simply add to the slow cooker and close the lid for 5 minutes or so. They will melt/soften.
A streusel topping is great on this too, combine
How to Store Leftovers
Refrigerator: Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days!
Freezer: Sweet Potato Casserole can easily be frozen. Scoop it into a zippered bag or a freezer container and be sure to label it with the date.
Reheat: When you are ready to reheat, simply give it a stir, maybe give it an extra dash of pumpkin pie spice and pop it in the microwave!
Delicious Sweet Potato Dishes!
- Sweet Potato Casserole – with marshmallows
- Roasted Sweet Potatoes – just 3 simple ingredients!
- Sweet Potato Salad – super colorful & delicious
- Baked Sweet Potato – just 5 mins prep!
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes – creamy, buttery perfection
- Sweet Potato Pie – rich & heavenly dessert!
Crockpot Sweet Potato Casserole
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into a 1-inch dice
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon ground
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons pecans chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Add the cubed sweet potatoes to a 6QT slow cooker.
- In a small bowl whisk together brown sugar, melted butter, vanilla extract, water, cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice.
- Pour the mixture over the potatoes and stir to combine.
- Cover the potatoes with the slow cooker lid and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours or until tender.
- Mash potatoes until smooth.
- Top with topping mixture, cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)