This is a great recipe for Strawberry Shortcake! I bought 6 pre-made shortcakes for only $2.50 at my local grocery store… if you can’t find those, use angel food cake!
Macerate the chopped strawberries by mixing them with sugar & lemon rind. After sitting for at least an hour, a syrup will form on the bottom which is delicious soaked into the cake!
Don’t worry about being too fancy with your shape cutouts! Some of my strawberries were a little small so I just made sure the tops looked nice. The bottom will look great no matter how “short” your strawberry is. (If you look at the strawberry on the bottom right, you can see it was too short but as long as the top is cut, it looks great!)
Shortcut Strawberry Shortcake
- 1 Pint of Strawberries
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 lemon
- 1 angel food cake sliced
- 2 cups Whipped Cream
Wash strawberries and slice.
- In a bowl add chopped strawberries, the zest of one lemon, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and 2 tablespoons of sugar
- Stir and allow to sit at room temperature for at least 1 hour
- Place cakes (or a slice of angel food cake) on a plate
- Spoon strawberries and juice on cake
- Top with whipped cream and strawberry cutout shapes
(Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.)