Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler may become one of your family’s all-time favorites. It’s an almost magical combination of fruity-sweet strawberries and sour-tart rhubarb, tied together with a buttery cake layer, making every bite indescribably delicious.
What is Cobbler?
Cobbler is a dessert with sugar-sweetened fruit baked with cake batter in the same pan. The batter threads its way to the top (looking like a cobbled street) as it bakes, delivering moist and melt-in-your-mouth tender globs of buttery cake in every bite. Cobbler can also be made with a biscuit-style topping (like I use in my blueberry cobbler recipe).
Cobbler shouldn’t be confused with a fruit crisp; a crisp has a streusel-like topping with oats and at times nuts, fruit cobbler is made with a biscuit or cake-like layer. Making it a sweet, cakey, gooey dessert.
To Make Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
The flavor options are endless for cobblers. Any fruit or berry that goes in a pie can also be used in cobblers. The combination of rhubarb and strawberry, however, produces a perfectly sweet & tart balance.
- Simmer strawberries & rhubarb in a pot with sugar until tender.
- Combine cake ingredients in a separate bowl (per recipe below).
- Melt butter in the bottom of a pan. Scoop the cake batter over the butter and carefully spoon in the fruit over the batter. Do not mix in.
- Bake until bubbling hot. Let sit and serve while still warm.
How to Store It
Like any baked dessert, strawberry cobbler tastes best served fresh on the same day you make it.
- To Refrigerate: Leftovers can be stored tightly covered at room temperature for 2-3 days, or in the fridge for up to four days. Although you’ll find the cake becomes soggy, the cobbler will retain its amazing flavor.
- To Freeze: You can also freeze it for up to four months.
- To Reheat: Pop in the microwave for a few seconds, or in a 350°F oven until heated.
Slow Cooker Cobbler
Cobbler cooks up great in the slow cooker too. Just follow the same procedure to prep and assemble as the oven-baked version. Cook on high for 6 hours, or on low for 7-9 hours.
What a great treat to come home to after a long day at work!
More Delicious Fruit Cobblers
- Blackberry Cobbler – perfectly sweet & tart
- Apple Cobbler – simple & delicious!
- Blueberry Cobbler – quick & easy dessert!
- Peach Cobbler – sweet & juicy peaches!
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- 1 pound fresh or frozen strawberries sliced 1/2" thick
- ½ pound fresh or frozen rhubarb thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ cups sugar divided
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place strawberries, rhubarb, and ½ cup of sugar in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat until fruit is tender.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in milk.
- Melt butter in the microwave and spread into the bottom of a 9x11 glass baking dish.
- Drop batter over the butter. Spoon the warm fruit over the batter, trying to keep it relatively even. Don't stir it in!
- Bake 45-55 minutes or until cake is set.
- Let the cobbler cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!