Strawberry Shortcake is light & delicious and the perfect recipe for a hot summer’s day. A sweet crumbly biscuit style pastry is filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.
Whether in a Strawberries & Cream Pie or if they’re being stuffed with cheesecake fresh strawberries are the perfect dessert. Especially when made into this classic strawberry shortcake!
What is Strawberry Shortcake?
Strawberry shortcake can vary based on where you live. Sometimes it’s a small little sponge cake, or in this case a sweet biscuit style pastry, topped with sliced strawberries and whipped cream or ice cream! The perfect ending to a barbecue or a picnic!
To Make Strawberry Shortcake
Simple, luscious, and oh so easy to make, this is the best strawberry shortcake recipe around! You can even prepare this recipe ahead and store in two separate parts until ready to serve.
To Make the Biscuits:
- Combine all biscuit ingredients in a food processor or a hand pastry cutter (per recipe below). Be careful not to overwork the dough or it will not rise properly
- Drop dough in even portions onto the baking sheet and bake until lightly golden brown on top. Remove and allow to cool.
To Make the Strawberry Filling:
- Let strawberries, sugar, and lemon juice combine for at least 30 minutes while the shortcakes cool.
When ready to serve, split shortcakes and spoon strawberry mixture over the top. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream. A sprig of mint is a beautiful complement!
How to Store Shortcake
Shortcakes are delicate, so don’t stack them on top of each other. Keep them in a single layer in a freezer bag or airtight container!
How Long Will It Last?
Store the cakes separately from the fillings/toppings and put them together just before serving. Shortcakes will last about a week to 10 days as long as they are kept airtight to prevent them from absorbing odors or moisture. They can also be frozen!
- To Freeze Biscuits: Cool completely and place in a single layer in a zippered bag. Store in the freezer for up to a few months.
- To Refrigerate Biscuits: Place in an airtight container, careful not to stack them, in the fridge until ready to use. These will last for a week and up to 10 days.
The strawberry mixture can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance. The strawberries may soften some and will produce more juice but of course will still taste delicious!
Try making a strawberry shortcake bar and let everyone make their own! Whether they top them with whipped cream or ice cream, these sweet little cakes will have everyone begging for more!
More Strawberry Desserts
- Strawberry Trifle – made with a no-bake cheesecake!
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler – melt-in-your-mouth tender!
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad – tasty combo of sweet & salty
- No Bake Strawberry Pie – delicious make-ahead dessert
- Strawberry Rhubarb Pie – perfect balance of sweet & tart!
Easy Strawberry Shortcake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- lemon zest
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 4 ounces cold unsalted butter
- coarse sugar
- 3 cups fresh strawberries sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- lemon zest
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 425°F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt & lemon zest in a small bowl (or food processor).
- Add cold butter and cut in with a fork or pulse a few times with a food processor (or cut in by hand using a pastry cutter) until you have coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk.
- Drop dough onto the prepared pan. Sprinkle with coarse sugar and lemon zest. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Combine sliced strawberries, sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and let sit at room temperature at least 30 minutes to release juices.
- Serve biscuits with strawberries and whipped cream.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content and photographs are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is both encouraged and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my photo use policy here.
Like our recipes?
Follow us on Pinterest!
Just made this yesterday and it turned out great. I used the food processor and it made it so easy. I doubled the recipe, but also made the biscuits a little smaller. I ended up getting 16 biscuits. I also used oat milk with lemon juice to make my own buttermilk. They turned out delicious. Because my biscuits were a little smaller I only needed to cook them for about 10 minutes. They turned out great! Very moist.
Fantastic recipe. Thank you. All the others I looked at were unnecessarily complicated and the proportions huge.
Quick question, how much lemon zest do I add to the shortcake dough and the strawberries. I used the zest of half a lemon and split between the 2. Just wondering what you use. Thanks
I usually divide it between the two as well! Enjoy the recipe Patricia!
I like your simple but delicious recipes
Thanks so much Lavern!
I love Strawberry Shortcake ♥️ YUM ♥️♥️
I hope you love this recipe Mary!
All I’m wanting is the recipe Off the box of Bisquick, for The Shortcake recipe ingredients!! I know it’s 2 1/4cups of Bisquick mix, 2/3cup milk, 2tblsp. of sugar & ????…!! Is it baking pwd.?? If so how much?? It would greatly be Appreciated, very much. Thank you
I don’t have the biscuit recipe. Sorry.
Oh and i forgot you can use coconut sugar in place of brown sugar. Im not sure where my first comment is.
Cant wait to try this I grew up on strawberry shortcake with homemade b.m. biscuits and back then everyone my mom served it to loved it but never heard of shortcake with biscuits they were used to the sponge cake. One thing we do differently is we chop up our strawberries add the sweetener so there more juicy and reserve whole or cut strawberries for garnish we like it a bit wet. Another recipe I saw added chocolate chunks or chips to the biscuits I loved that idea. And just so everyone knows most of these desert recipes can be tweaked to be more healthy for example by replacing regular flour with grain free flour almond, coconut, hazelnut, cassava, etc and using stevia or xlitol for sweetener if you have candida or a natural sweetener like honey if you can have that. Fruit recipes can be interchangeable for instance you could use blueberries in this recipe or cherries raspberries peaches or a combo. You can use coconut or almond milk which is realy easy to make homemade, just make sure yer almonds arnt processed with ppo gas call the company make sure they arnt putting gas engine fuel on yer almonds if they are organic or imported raw from certain countries like italy then they are healthy and not treated with gas. You can make coconut whipped cream using a healthy sweetener if get caned coconut make sure its a bpa free can. In recipes that call for peanut butter You can switch out peanut butter with almond butter hazelnut butter walnut butter pistachio butter which are all easy to make homemade. Peanut butter is not healthy even the natural kind contrary to what most think. That’s enough tips for now I think only bec I’m tired and have brain fog. Have a great evening everyone God bless
Thank you for sharing your great ideas! Enjoy the recipe!
To anyone using “xlitol” , this product will kill your dog’s. You can also find it in some chewing gums, & some peanut butters, and other products. Read the ingredients well…
This was super delicious! My kids and I devoured them…all, haha. The shortcake was super tender, and the lemon was a brilliant touch to both. I’m definitely saving this recipe for future use. Thank you for sharing!
I’m so glad you loved it Tabatha!
Just made these in my food processor and it was so quick and easy. I did have to add more buttermilk but they were absolutely delicious!!!
So glad to hear you loved them Jules!